Fraser Report

pilchard

Hi - I spent last weekend at fraser with a few mates and just thought Id just give a quick report for those interested or heading up soon. Its the first time Ive been up in July and although reports from previous years indicated tailor fishing to be hotting up at this time we only caught 2(34/36cm at lunch time low tide) the whole long weekend. We enjoyed some pretty fantastic weather and spent plenty of hours fishing from south of eurong up to aprox 5 km north of maheno, but the repayments for our efforts were very low. Millions of undersized dart with the odd better school, a few solid whiting and bream and one lone 60cm jew. Stacks of pippies and worms up and down the beach which was great and beach driving conditions were great.

Have any other beach anglers noticed lower than average tailor numbers so far this year? I fish reasonably regularly on gold coast beaches from april onwards but this year has been tougher than normal. perhaps they are late this year?

If anyone else is heading up to fraser soon Id love to hear reports before the next trip! Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Same pilchard , we were up at Ocean Lake camping from July 11 - 18 and caught 6 legal Taylor , 10 Whiting , 3 Tarwine ,4 Flathead and a Nice 95cm Jew, between 6 blokes so very poor but gr8 weather , we go in July every year and this by far has been the least rewarding, we fished from Dungdanburra (spelling ? ) to the Cape.

Im going back for 2 weeks from Sat 30/8 till 13/9 so I would hope I can report on something then.

Locals on Straddy have been saying the same thing.

They also suggest when the mullet are late (which they were) then the tailor will be as well s many they just have not made it yet?

Angus

P.S. Thanks for the report still sounds like a good weekend :)

Interesting about the mullet, the weekend we spent there in July there were hundreds and hundreds of mullet in gutters right up and down the stretch of water we fished...the tailor fishing was so slow the thought crossed my mind to put some bread on my hook. still seems very quiet up there but surely can't be too far. My fisherman's logic tells me the only answer is to plan another trip back!

---Love the turtle riding photo! the fishing definitely must have been slow!

Archived