Few different trips. Squid!!

old mate

post-6803-144599061013_thumb.jpg

Have had a few trips out in the past few weeks with no big success but figured I would share a few photos.

First trip was a sunday arvo trip where I got board and decided to chuck the boat in at the port and head out to mouth of the river on a solo run.

Did not take long to hook and land a 55cm Squire. Was the only fish for the day.

post-6803-14459906097_thumb.jpg

Next trip was about 3 weeks back with Henry Do$ty&*^^% where although we did not catch any epic fish it was still an enjoyable day.

Started off chasing Squire in the shallows with only small squire caught.

post-6803-144599060992_thumb.jpg

We then moved on where we came across large schools of small Trevally (sorry no photos as I did not take any) After catching a dozen or so we came across a spot holding good number of King fish. with a few follows of the lure we decided to go get some squid to feed the kingies.

Managed to get 3 squid in the net.

post-6803-144599060978_thumb.jpg

On the first drop of a squid its head and guts where quickly demolished leaving us with the tube (convenient). We then put on another squid hooking it up differently but the kingies where to smart for us. With the incoming tide we decided to have a quick look for some Longtail tuna, and sure enough the birds showed us where too look. With 3 other boats also chasing the tuna we decided to give them there space and sit off to the side in hope of a school coming with in casting distance. Sure enough they did and having a Maira loaded tied on and armed with the Nordic Stage 7'7 dynamic I could lob a nice big cast out into the school, after to swipes with the lure a tuna smashed It and I was on. only took 5 minutes to get the fish to the boat but it circled us for probably another 15 minutes before the hooks came loose and I watched what I think could have been a new PB swim away. since then I have bought a new Gaff haha. That wrapped up the day and was enjoyable even if fish where lost.

post-6803-144599060985_thumb.jpg

Last trip was 2 weeks ago up to Mooloolaba with a mate visiting from Canberra so decided to give off shore a go. I managed to borrow a Epirb or Dohesk (thanks a million Dom even if you gave me the wrong number to call you on).

We headed out to the Inner Gneering for the morning and with heaps of bait on it I thought we would get something but nothing was to be had. So we moved back towards the bar and had a flick when some squid started following my mates lure so quickly tied on a Jig and put it in behind his lure sure enough up-came this fella

post-6803-144599060999_thumb.jpg

not long after same thing but about 5 squid followed it, to my mates disliking I only had one jig :/ managed to get this fella.

post-6803-144599061006_thumb.jpg

All in all was a long trip for two squid but learnt a lot about the area for the next time I go.

Cheers Chris

Archived