Two new Pb's, Just another Epic Day!

cameronh

Once again the stars aligned and I was able to get away to Hervey Bay again with my little brother. With our gear packed, we left after work on Friday night for the drive up, with the usual Friday afternoon traffic we made it up there just before 9.

On the way up we spoke with Andrew Chorley (Chozza) from Hervey Bay Fly and Sportfishing the plan with to head out of the boat harbour at 6am the next morning. So we settled in for the night and rested up ready for a full day fishing the next morning.

The next morning we were greeted with an overcast sky, but pancake conditions, so we couldn't complain. We cruised up Fraser and were at our first spot in no time. With our micro jigs at the ready we sent them fluttering down and it wasn't long until we had a double hook up. They were only small grassy trevally's but it was a good start and we played with them for a good hour or so. Then Chozza suggested we move a little and try find some Golden's.

Sure enough after few hop's of the jig, my rod loaded up and the certate starting screaming, oh how I missed that sound. It was a good 15 minute battle and up popped my first Golden for the day.

DSC00027.jpg

After a couple of happy snaps, she was released to fight another day. We played with a couple more and then we decided to head somewhere else and target some snapper.

We swapped over to our plastics rigs and started to twitch them along the bottom. It was a bit quiet to start with, but all of a sudden my rod loaded up again and the reel started screaming away. At the same time my little brothers also loaded up and we were on to another double hook up. Little bro ended up getting hi tot he surface first and it turned out to be another Golden, but hey he wasn't complaining

DSC00058.jpg

Shortly after I saw colour on mine, but this time it was PINK!, so with the heart pounding I took my time and slowly guided it to the net and once on the deck I was over the moon, it was a new Pb snapper, one I could finally call a true Knobby!

IMG_1529.jpg

It measured 86cm and I guess around the 6-7kg mark

Not long after we saw some splashes and so we made our way over, upon arrival we also had a few pods of dolphins and whales around, but there were also some big tuna chasing bait. So once we were in casting distance we sent our lures flying, I had one follow, but no hook up, little bro was a little luckier and came up tight, however after a couple minutes the line went limp, thinking the line snapped he wound it back in only to find the loop knot still fully intact! He lost the fish of the day because the eye somehow opened on his jighead?

We followed the tuna around for a little while, but no more hooks ups, so we went back to the snapper and little bro came up trumps again, landing a Pb snapper

IMG_1545.jpg

This one was 82cm.

This continued for another couple hours with us releasing about 8 snapper between the 45-75cm mark.

IMG_1548.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

Towards the afternoon, we spotted some Golden's free swimming around the boat so I sent down a jig and came up trumps with this

IMG_1556.jpg

Once again she went back in the water after a few happy snaps.

We fished for a little while longer and then it was time to head back to harbour. All in all another fantastic day in Hervey Bay with plenty of good memories to keep me entertained until our next trip out. We ended up taking a couple of snapper home for some fish and chips and they were great!

Thanks for reading

Cam

Well done. Some nice brutes there.

Chozza never fails to get people onto good fish !

That last pic shows the crankiest looking Golden I've ever seen haha.

only to find the loop knot still fully intact! He lost the fish of the day because the eye somehow opened on his jighead?

That's bizarre ! Did you have a look at any of the remaining jigheads ?

Thanks everyone, it was a great day, can't wait to get back up there, just need to get the reels serviced as they have copped some punishment over the past couple of trips.

With regards to the case of the jighead, its the second time it has happened to us.... once was on the gold coast and now again at HB, Don't exactly know what happened, but on both occasions the leader came back with the loop knot still perfect.... both times they were TT jigheads so go figure? I guess the eye somehow opened up and the fish just got it on the right angle? On this occasion we were using 20lb leader on a 3/4oz

But hey as we all say, 'that's fishing'

Also forgot to mention, there was another first on the day, while flicking around for snapper, I somehow managed to lasso a 45cm snapper, I thought it would just be an undersized fish when I was reeling it in, but then when we got it in the net we realised the hook was dangling below it :woohoo: this fish managed to half hitch itself and because I kept tension the whole way up it had no chance to really fight as its pectorial fins were basically tied to its side and its dorsal fin was also kept down as the leader tightened!

Archived