ST James Lake - Brackley UK

FISH_mad_POM

Well chaps - here goes !

finally managed to squeeze a bit of fishing inbetween all that work on friday 11th august.

Only managed to get on the bank for 4 hours but what a 4 hours it was.

Fishing on a straight forward float and rod rig with 4lb main line with 2.6lb bottom. I had 12 bream all between 4lb and 7lb in weight along with 2 tench and 1 carp ( approx 7lb )fishing with a homemade bread based groundbait balled into the swim along with a mixture of sweetcorn kernels and homemade paste on the hook.

Although its different from your way of fishing its the only way until i get out there with ya all !!!

Sorry the reports a bit late but i went on me camping hols the follwoing day and just got back

tight lines !!

Fish_Mad_POM

;)

dont think theres any link mate as these are a fresh water variety found in lakes, rivers and canals over here and other places throughout europe. There not the best of fighting fish but there good sport when you get em going never the less ill try and up a photo of one to compare with your bream

Post edited by: FISH_mad_POM, at: 2006/08/22 18:07

The UK bream

Scientific Name: Cyprinidae Abramis brama.

Other Names: Slabs, Brown Fish

World Record: 18lb 8oz

[img size=200]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/breamuk.jpg

Description

A very deep bodied fish, bream are much narrower in profile than other species, such as carp. Adults are easily recognizable by their bronze hue, black fins and protruding upper jaw, 51-60 scales along the lateral line, long anal fin with 24-30 branched rays. . Immature bream are termed 'skimmers' and differ from the adults by virtue of their silver coloration may be confused with roach, as they share a similar silver color. In larger bream a dark bronze back blends into an almost black stomach on large specimens that sets them apart from other coarse fish species. In the very largest fish the shoulders become very thick-set giving the bream a bullish appearance.

Habitat

Bream like either very slow moving rivers, lakes and canals are all the haunts of the bream, which is never happier than when rooting around in the mud. it's protractible mouth enables it to suck in small organisms from the soft bottom. Due to the nature of Bream they feed nearly entirely on or very close to the bottom.

Feeding Habit

Diet in adults consists exclusively of chironomid and caddis larva, gammarus and benthic invertebrates more commonly known as bloodworm. Bream require huge numbers of chironomids each day to survive. A five pound bream may consume a hundred thousand animals each day. Bream feed upon chironomids by hoovering up the animals, along with a large amount of mud and debris from the lake bed. In the mouth the prey are separated from this debris by special layers of fine hairs attached to the gills. The balls of chironomids are then swallowed whilst the debris is spat out. A shoal of bream will follow a patrol route around a lake or along a river stopping to feed on the beds of chironomids as they go. Observation on Bream to find out their regular patrol routes greatly increases your chances of interception. Although the bream follow a similar route each day they do not always stop at the same spots.

Age and Growth

Bream begin to mass for spawning at the beginning of May. Spawning occurs when the water temperature reaches 14 centigrade, which generally occurs in late May or early June. The male bream reach the shallow weedy spawning bays first and establish small Territory from which they try to exclude other males. The females enter the spawning bays a few days later and spawning normally occurs around dawn and dusk. Each female produces 30,000-40,000 eggs/kg of 1.6-2 mm which are laid in weed beds in shallow water She will be attended by several males. Small bream grow more quickly than roach or rudd when feeding conditions are good. By the end of their first summer they will measure approximately 40mm in length and resemble the adults in miniature. Once they have survived their first Winter the shoals of bream will be established that will last throughout the remaining twenty years of their lives. The bream will reach sexual maturity after five years at a weight of only a couple of pounds. They will continue to grow for almost the whole of their lives, only limited by the amount of food available.

Tackle and Methods

Float fishing with wagglers, polaris and other floats; ledgering with arseley bombs and swimfeeders; long pole to hand or short line. For bait Maggots, worms, bread, casters, sweetcorn etc. with brown crumb and a range of continental groundbaits and flavourings. Bream are not renowned for their fighting capabilities, however if fished for which balanced tackle Bream will and do provide great sport. These fish also tend to be more of a nighttime feeder however they can be caught all day on good overcast days. In general once the sky's start to light and brighten up Bream just seem to disappear.

Post edited by: Johnny, at: 2006/08/26 12:50

post-64-144598400396_thumb.jpg

hI

I have been to the uk 4 times on holidays but the closest i got to fishing was buying three six pound trout from a trout farm near cruden bay in scotland. I smoked them for a party.

Over here in Queensland fishing in salt water is free, boat licence is $45 ( I think cant remember and half price for pensioners) In some of our stocked impoundments a licence costs $35 ( discount for pensioners) other stocked impoundments are free, and some other impoundments and all freshwater streams are free.

The fees ( less a hefty 30 percent admin fee) collected by the state government are distributed to the different fishstocking associations that belong to the scheme to be used only for restocking.

I normally fish lake Sampsonvale which is on the headwaters of the north pine river. It is about 70k away from where i live. It is electric only and costs $110 per year to belong to the fish stocking association for boating access to the lake. Unfortunatly due to drought the lake has been closed to boating since July last year.

The species stocked are bass,yellowbelly, mary river cod,saratoga, garfish,with a natually occuring population of freshwater catfish and lungfish and an introduced population of tilapia which are declared a noxious species and all tilapia caught have to be removed from the water and destroyed ( OR EATEN)

We have bag limits on bass ( 2 in possession) yellowbelly ( 10 in possession) saratoga ( cant remember limit but are fairly rare and no one keeps them they are good sportfish but terrible eating)

The mary river cod and lungfish are totaly protected and have to be released.

Hope this doesnt bore you and would like to hear more about your fishing in the UK

I have tried to find St james lake on google but couldnt find it.

Best wishes

ray

rayke1938 wrote:

hI

would like to hear more about your fishing in the UK

I have tried to find St james lake on google but couldnt find it.

Best wishes

ray

i found a little on it here ray - not a lot mate but its about all i could find

/>http://www.localauthoritypublishing.co.uk/councils/brackley/lake.html
/>http://www.brackleynorthants-tc.gov.uk/about_brackley/wildlifesurvey/wildlifesurvey.htm

cheers

Lee

Archived