shark fishing, eel conservation

madmullet

ATTENTION SHARK FISHERMAN/LADIES

PLEASE READ

Eel conservation

Longfin eel... Anguilla Reinardtii

The long finned eel has long pectoral fins, a large head and fleshy lips. It can be easily distinguished from its close relative the short finned eel by the length of its dorsal fin

Size range

Landlocked longfin eels ( eels that cannot return to the ocean due to man made objects/barriers ) can grow up to 3m and weigh as much as 22kg but are most common around 1m in length.

Life cycle

The long finned eel undergoes a hugh migration to sea to breed. Adult long finned eels swim down stream to the sea and then undergo a hugh task where they migrate to New Caledonia. Females can have millions of eggs. Once born the babies (glass eels) take about 1 year to return to the streams of eastern Australia.

In short

Eels can be easily be fished out if they cant return to sea to breed. So if you are having troubles catching eels there is a high chance they have been fished out of that area.
/>https://m.facebook.com/TeamMadmulletfishing

• 1 month later...

Guys, any help would be appreciated. I live in redcliffe and all the local spots where there are eels, have been signed as no fishing spots. I used to use the lagoon at nudgee near the servo, its been signed. Also the ones in sandgate and north lakes are now a no go zone. Where do i find the nice little spots that i can throw some meat out to get myself some bait?

• 3 months later...

I decided to hit up some of my mates who shark also, turns out there's some nice little ponds/lagoons out the back of ninghi just before bribie. One of said mates gets all his eels out of there, went there once, came home with 3 about 1.5m each. They are in enormous numbers in this system and have access to get out to breed!

Archived