Raking Blood Worms: How To?

Angus

Hey everyone. With my new move to the bay I am interesting in getting some blood worms sussed.

Although I usually fish with lures there will now be a far easier opportunity for lazy Sunday afternoon whiting sessions at a few places I know. Yabbies are fairly easy to get but thought mixing it up would be worthwhile.

Does anyone know any "tricks" or tactics or is as simple as walking out on the flats at low tide and raking some mud?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Angus

Raking? In my youth it was hard yakka with a garden fork for bloodworms,

The friday arvo drive down to Wynumm with Ray to get the bait for the next days winter whiting slaughter was a winter ritual.

These days many places because of the ban on using forks, its even harder yakka as you have to dig them by hand!

I buy wrigglers these days ;)

I've updated that thread with a How to :)

But i'll place it here to so it will show up better when it's searched for

Typically there are no signs of where the worms are located. It has more to do about the mud

Best time to work is at dead low tide so you have more access to the shore line. You want to be in that kind of mud that you'll sink knee deep to.

We tend to find the best spots are out the front of those little very tiny run out creeks. (not the one's you can take a boat up)

There's no real art to it, it's a matter of start digging. The signs of life you're looking for are the small wrigglers. They will be in the top layer and the bigger guys will be bellow them. It's a matter of going elbow deep and pulling the mud in towards you. That creates a gap for which, if you see a big guy you grab him. Some people grab them and wait for them to relax and pull. I'd rather not take the risk, I grab them and dig them out slowly.

I think you can use a fork but a shovel is illegal, but hands is the most successful way

Nothing catch's more fish than local bait. Whiting love them and bream smash them

That's my bit of advice. It's a bit hard to explain with out showing you first hand.

However I have found a great video on youtube :)

[video]http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIHuIhlfw7M

Archived