Goondiwindi Carp Cull

Feral

Map showing the weir. Dunno about the water park shown, even though it is supposed to be open dawn to dusk, it was locked up tight. I dont think you can get from the Weir to the park by boat, the joining creek is to small, dont know if there are fish in it either, I think it is mainly for ski lice. [img size=438]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/gundy1.jpg

post-134-14459843611_thumb.jpg

Been looking over the rules for the carp cull, and I am intrigued!

It specifically states that you cant use firearms or dogs!

Now I lived in Western Queensland for 5 years, and have regularly fished it for 20 years, but I have never ever heard of any fishing technique using either a dog or a firearm (explosives yes!)

Anyone able to enlighten me?

There's a DPI&F article about the illegality of shooting fish. It gives away the clue about how/why this method is employed. Something along the lines of fish resting up in shady shallows and making easy targets of themselves.

Not too sure about the dog one though. In know in some of the islands in the Fiji area they use them as livies for sharks.:(

On a property one of my mates managed

Had the Darling river running through it ;) It also had a small wier crossing it's width with about a 3 foot drop in water levels The carp used to jump upstream to get to the higher level so we used to stand at the ready and blow the crap outta them with 12 gauges as they jumped :P

Heaps of fun :woohoo:

but I didn't say that :P

Gaz

ps I'll be going (fishing rods only lol)

Loose definection of a firearm = any form of firing a missle sling shots come to mind, mortars, cannons it is such a grey area for instance bow fishing as far as I know is still legal if the fish is in the water :woohoo:

if you think about it a speargun is just another form of a bow it propelles a protencially lethal device

Where does it end :woohoo:

The reason u need to be a licenced firearm holder to own a paintball gun is some dumb ass thought what if you freeze the balls they could be fatal derrrr for example you can have a compound bow no licence required but a cross bow fires a arrow /bolt that will cause the same amount of damage is illegal in nsw

work that one out

how many ppl actually do it and what is their reasoning (the ppl who make these bizare rules)

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone still interested?

There is a link to their website earler on on page one of the thread .Here is part of it. If no one else is interested I will see if the cabins are still avail and Myself, Graham , Feral and possible Ferg will rock up anyhow.

Cheers

Ray

Competitor Information

Competition Prizes

Carp Cull will have 5 categories for entrants

* Individuals – Registration $15

o Over $5000 in prizes

o Major Prize of a $2000 kayak From Gundy Guns and Outdoor Supplies

o Waeco Fridge from Beaurepaires Goondiwindi worth $1000

o 1000 Watt Engel Generator from David Ford Auto Electrics valued at $1200

o 2 x Ice boxes From Beaurepaires Goondiwindi valued at $450 each

o Webber Barbecue from Mackenzies Home Hardware valued at $35

o Ice Box from Repco Valued at $350

o Ice Boxes from Border Builders worth $430

* Teams – Max 4 persons – Registration $50

o 1st Prize $1000 Cash, 2nd $500, 3rd $200

* Junior – Under 16 years – registration $2

o $1000 of prizes- every angler wins

* Catch and Release-all registered anglers eligible

o Largest Murray Cod - $350 Ice Box

o Largest Yellow Belly - $350 Ice Box

o Junior - $300 swag from Tom's Tarps

* Tagged Carp Prizes-All registered anglers eligible

o $1000 from Invasive Animals CRC

o 1st $500, 2nd $300, 3rd $200

* Random/Spot prizes-All anglers eligible

o Will be awarded throughout the competition

o Keep an eye out to for the Marshalls patrolling your section of river

o Over $1000 in value

All prizes will be drawn on Sunday 20th at Noon.

For the Individual prizes every carp caught will entitle the angler to a ticket in the barrel, and the winners will be randomly drawn.

Anglers can only register in either a team or as an individual, and fish will only be able to be measured in one category.

The team prizes will be awarded on the basis of total length (to nearest cm) of carp caught, based on fork length measurement. Carp must be 10cm or longer to be eligible, any Carp measured under this length will be ineligible. In the event of a tie the winner shall be determined by lot.

Catch and Release (Non target species of Yellowbelly and Murray Cod) will be based on length. All fish in this section must be presented to the marshals on the river in healthy condition and must be released by the marshals.

Invasive Animals CRC will be tagging fish in the leadup to the event. Keep an eye on the website as details of where tagging has taken place will be posted closer to the event. When registering you will also receive a map of where fish have been tagged, and there have been more than 200 carp tagged so the chances of catching one are high.

I have just contacted the only decent van park in town and all their cabins are booked out for an Anzac Day Reunion but plenty of tent sites available.Looks good with plenty of room and large camp kitchen. The other parks in town are small and cramped.

There is also free bush camping on a number of stock reserves in the area but I have not researched them.

www.goondiwinditouristpark.com.au/

Cheers

Ray

I'll be going probably taking both the boys, as I dont think Ferg is interested due to the extra days we need to take off work.

We will probably spend the comp trolling with me with my fingers in my ears slowly hitting my head on the deck thinking why did I bring this pair? As they whine and fight down the other end of the boat!

• 2 weeks later...

Feral wrote:

Just got confirmation the Cull is on. Sign on from 5pm 25/4. I have a flyer and contact phone number if anyone is interested.

I'll be taking my two sons along, about time they saw some of Queensland!

Don't forget to stick 'em on top of Gunsynd for a pic

Bri,

I am not sure of Qld or NSW rules apply.

But as people over 18 need a NSW fishing licence to fish there (about $6 for 3 days from memory - the river is the state border) to be safe I'd go with the NSW rules on number of rods, as it is stricter than Qld, IE 2 Rods in use per person.

Angus go with the Tinnie and Tackle show, as Shayne says the only way we can beat the Greenies is one kid at a time!

• 1 month later...

We are camping at

www.goondiwinditouristpark.com.au/

I think that All the info for the comp is on page one from memory you can register Friday arvo or Saturday morning.

Be good to meet up with you at last.

Cheers

Ray

here is link
/>http://www.carpcull.com.au/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Its getting pretty close now!

Lets see, 3 size 8 hooks packed and about 100 cod lures. Might have toss in another size 8 hook in case the kids get a snag whilst carp fishing......

Bri, keep an eye on the web site for updates they are putting stuff up every day or two now.

/>http://www.carpcull.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=0&Itemid=5

Also has maps showing the Bowls club (where you need to register). We are staying in the bigger caravan park, dunno the name, Ray booked it. I'll PM you my mobile number and we can try and meet up. The second page has the names of the van parks they have negotiated a good rate with if your not going to bush camp.

Dont forget you'll need a NSW fishing licence if your going to fish from a boat or on the NSW side of the river. Only a few bucks.
/>https://pnpnet.qvalent.com/OnlinePaymentServlet?cd_community=NSWFISH&cd_supplier_business=NSWFISHERIES&cd_currency=AUD

or the Carp Cull web page above details local places that sell them.

Archived