Flurocarbon

Brian D

Does flourcarbon work? It is expensive but does it work?

I can offer 3 examples.

Bass fishing in Hinze - I rigged up 14lb flurocarbon leaders for both Dan and myself and we caught quite a few fish. However on my rod I ran out of leader so I tied the hook onto the fireline but after that I didn't get a bite. Could be due to the action had stopped , but Dan landed a fish after and he still had flurocarbon.

Last night fish I had wire on one rod and flurocarbon on another - the flurocarbon caught 2 sleepy sharks and the wire got one.

And the 3rd example at Potts point fishing with a fishing friend I caught about 10 fish and he caught 2. I had fluro carbon and he had normal mono. We both had the same bait and weight.

So does it work or am I dreaming?

brian i was not trying to have a go, jsut wondering if you knew what flurocarbon line's ment to do.

\"Fluorocarbon lines have been used by fly fishermen for a good while but have been adapted by bream and other fishermen fairly recently. This line is made by combining a carbon base and other materials to form a line that is almost invisible underwater. Therefore it is very useful in clear water\" i copyed that of the net so i didnt have to explane it in my own words.

flurocarbon is also very abrasion resistant then other braid and fishing lines.

hope that help's

cheers ando

Ando thanks that does help.

So from that I would deduce that out in the bay, in shallow creeks and top of the tide when water is clear: flurocarbon is worth using but after rain, in merky water, low tide and back creeks it is a waste of money and time.

Do the rules apply the same in fresh water as to salt?

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/08/23 08:48

Flourocarbon has the same light refracting index as water. Therefore light passes trough the line at the same rate that it passes through the water (instead of the light bouncing off the line) thus making the line harder to see. Also it's abrasion resistance is excellent, several times when I have either caught fish or snagged up and put preassure on the line and still landed fish or got my lure back only to inspect the leader to find nicks and cuts in it. Then just try and break that line by pulling it is very difficult, a standard mono line of the same breaking strain almost always fails at the point of a cut with alot less effort.

IMO it is worth the extra dollars and I will never be without it again.

Cheers Kev

Is flurocarbon mainly used as a leader or can you use it as a main. As a leader I see its benefits as a main how does it compare to mono and braid for flicking plastics at bream and flathead? do you have to use special knots with it like braid?

efess

Archived