A bit of advice on a purchase

max pwr

Hi Guys, the mrs has surprised me with $12 k to spend on a new boat for my birthday :woohoo: I want something that will carry the five of us and camping gear, be a good fishing platform to go outside and something I can do an overnighter on. Slim pickings for that budget and I'm obviously wary of buying something that is going to explode or catch fire first time out.

I've had a good look around and seen a few, with this old rig pretty much being the frontrunner atm

Boat

Any opinions or if anyone is in the know of another boat I'd appreciate it.

Seriously considering buying this tub tomoz

Cheers.

Never heard of coaster boats. I would be having a yarn to TMC and see how long they havge been looking after boat and thoroughly check out hull for soft spots . Floors,transoms and stringers all exy to fix on older glass boats. My personal choice would be for a well known hull such as haines,cruisecraft v seas etc,

Some of the unknown early hulls were a bit dodgy using builders ply in transoms and floors.

Cheers

Ray

Being a cynical grumpy older so & so, what I see is, there has been $$$,time and effort put in to make a 1986 boat and outboard look spick and span for a sale. How was it looked after or neglected for the previous 27 years?

You really need someone who knows the ins and outs of glass boats to have a look over it with you.

Have a yarn to aussie 123 about it.

Cheers

Ray

Pretty sure Lance has just headed up to 1770 on a trip.

I speak with no authority/knowledge whatsoever Steve however I'd personaly be quite cautious buying such an old outfit - both due to the fibreglass hull and also the age of the motor. Good luck.

Yeah, those pics were taken in my driveway..... 08 bay sport 575 with an etec 115 has 152 hours on it.

Really tidy boat in top condition.

Has a furuno 585 and humminbird chart plotter so ticks al the boxes.

Took it out yesterday with the mrs, couldn't be happier.

Paid 28k in the end

Yeah, my Mrs is allright eh? We looked at a couple older boats first but I don't think she realized how much the boats that she pictured us getting actually sell for :blink:

Didn't take her long to make up her mind to spend a few bucks extra.

She liked the Haines Hunters we looked at in a few yards and when we saw this in a yard we both agreed it was exactly what we wanted so we hooked her up and towed it home :)

Yeah mate, I'll be taking this sucker everywhere....... Trip out to Fitzroy and lady musgrave is a definite when the weather is right.

I had planned tangas yesterday but the flares I got with the boat are out of date so stuck closer to Straddie.

Something you'll need to learn before a 1770 trip is your fuel consumption. I mean really get to know it at full noise over 2 hours. Otherwise you'll under estimate what you'll use and be in trouble.

This trip I took 250 liters with me, and that was nearly not enough, coming home with 50 liters maybe more left and not reaching the grounds we intended due to other factors. I'll be looking at ways to store 300+ on my boat. Current idea is a 200 liter bladder on the bow to use first, then just my internal tank. run an LMF-200 and I think i final got her calabrated perfect. I was averaging 20L an hour for the trip out at 3600 RPMs.

Storage is something else you have to play with to get right. I'm learning each big trip I do in my boat and have to keep modding her after each trip to suit what I'm doing with it. I usually take a 160 liter esky and a smaller one, but the next trip it'll be two 160 liters eskies, so more mods are needed to store them so I have deck space for fishing.

Good luck mate, and get into it, you'll enjoy having a bigger boat! :)

Archived