PNG Adventure: New Britain 2014

Angus

What a great looking trip! I've always wanted to fish the Fly and the Sepik, but after seeing these pics as long as it's river in PNG that holds bass I don't care one bit. I'd be happy catching the by catch. I'd be very interested in a trip next year with my old man, a diehard 'jacks on hardbodies' fisherman, so will take a look into the options available.

Couple of questions though? I noticed you mainly used spin gear Angus, and Damian you seem to use overheads. When using lures in the mangroves and accuracy is important I've always used overheads, but for everything else I prefer spin gear. Between the pair, what's the better for this type of fishing? Is accuracy vitally important, or is it an each to their own sort of preference?

Also how does the weather shock affect your fishing? I'm guessing heat and humidity are through the roof? Do you fish all day, or morning and afternoon? Or do you just push through it on constant excitement?

Man it is definitely a preference thing. I mean while on one hand I know BC can be used better for accuracy, I have always preferred spin and feel comfortable now shooting a lure into tight terrain on spin, especially from a casting deck.

Accuracy was important though. Sometimes you got one of those magic casts into right terrain and you just knew you would get smashed. The fish certainly held tight into the timber and palms.

Terminal tackle was critical. Anything not wired through, or any abraded leader, poor knots etc. was a guaranteed lost fish.

Angus

Not on New Britain fishingnut.

You trade barra for spot tails.

A good trade in my opinion.

Angus

Sorry mate had a brain fart and was thinking png for some reason, and yes your right trade barra for bass any day.

Mate New Britain is a province off the North East coast of PNG. It is within the country of PNG.

The barra however occupy the Southern coast of PNG so all the charters you see for them are usually out of Port Moresby etc.

Angus

Was absolutely awesome. Will post some photos from the PC later on.

On the subject of gear I was using a Venom Black Bass spin rated 40-60lb using 50lb PE and 50-60lb leader (5000 Stella) and didn't get busted off but got smoked on the troll on my baitcast set up which was the Venom Barra Monster rated to 50lb with 85lb braid and usually 60-80lb leader.

But must agree most fish caught on the troll were a smaller class of fish. But you just never know!

Damo can I get that sweet shot of the island emailed to me in high res?

Cheers man!

Angus

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome trip guys, as everyone has said.....Trip of a lifetime.

If you don't mind me asking....what baitcasters were you using?

I did not use any BC only Spin.

Tim used a Shimano Culcutta and a Venom Black Bass rod (40-60lb).

I am not sure of the specifics of the other guys.

Angus

Archived