Australian Cricket - is it just me?

Binder

Ok, this is probably going to be contentious, but I believe the hoopla over the bloke who died is over the top. All very sad etc, but people suffer freak accidents in sport and die, heck people die in some sports as a matter of course.

This whole "delay the Brisbane test" thing, it is a total overreaction, many people have taken time off work, paid for plane tickets and accommodation to attend, now they have blown their holidays, blown the price of the airline tickets and accommodation probably the price of their tickets to the game, as they wont be able to get leave at the end of the season.

It is not like there is an increased risk that needs to be sorted out, or anything to be fixed, it was just a sad accident, wear black arm bands in the first session as a mark of respect as is normally the case when someone well known in the sport dies and get on with it!

Note: - the change has not affected me personally , But I do expect I'll have a couple of blokes wanting to cancel leave at work tomorrow for sure!

I can see where you're coming from.

BUT this is a professional cricket team; the best we've got, not some park cricket team who just rock up to the game.

They have personal routines and rituals and fitness/training regimes in the days leading up to a test. With the funeral on Wednesday and other disruptions in the past week they will simply be under prepared and not on the job. Who wants to watch that? Not me.

Once the funeral is done and dusted I'm sure they will get back to doing what they get paid to do in the week leading up to the Adelaide test and will be ready to play from ball one

Adelaide Oval will host the first Test between Australia and India, with the Gabba Test played second to allow players to attend Phillip Hughes's funeral.

/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-01/adelaide-oval-to-host-first-test-with-gabba-pushed-to-second/5932382

So not only have they buggered the plans of the Qld fans, they have changed the dates of the Adelaide test as well and buggered up the plans of the SA fans as well!

Ah well, I suppose I'll just have to build a bridge and get over it. ;)

Yep, not the first time it's happened. Rolling Stones had to postpone their tour recently due to Jaggers partner. I know these cricketers aren't related but they would be a VERY tightnit bunch and no doubt would have played the test if they felt they could/wanted to.

Unfortunately they have to come ahead of people who have bought tickets, flights, etc. That's the risk we all take going to events.

Archived