Report - North Moreton Bay & off Moreton Island 1/12/2014

Aggro101

Hi all

I had a few firsts yesterday, 1st time on someone-elses boat in several years was good enough and they day just got better from there. My second first was going out without bait (yes, on purpose), I decided to give plastics a really good go.

We left scarby at 3am to head out a bit from the lighthouse around smiths reef, brennans etc trolling for mackerel with skirts and hardbodies. No mackeral, but the second first for me was a marlin! We boated 2 of them for the morning in the same general area on skirts, nothing hit the hardbodies.

We trolled our way towards GPS coordinates SXX.XX.XXX EXXX.XX.XXX. (not showing up for some reason :P ) without any further hits along the way.

Once we got to spot X in 90 metres, I had another first, snapper on plastics. I was stoked how well they worked once I got the weight right (3 ounce by the way with 7 inch gulps). The 2 guys with me used baits, and I caught 8 of the 12 we kept on plastics to their 4 on pillies. I am a plastics convert now.

I could only get 2 on each gulp before they were mangled beyond recognition, but well worth it. Every drift was pulling up 1 or 2 snapper. They seemed to be coming up to hit them on the drop about 20 metres off the bottom.

My next first was getting busted off by a snapper. Got him within sight of the boat after 20 minutes when he went for a massive run. My leader snapped and I ended up on my arse, much to the delight of my shipmates. Best guess is well over a metre long from what we saw of it. Note to self, Less Drag Next Time!

The fish went quiet, be we had our bag, so we headed back to the beacons to jig for mackerel on the way home. That's where I got my last first for the day, never jigged up a mackerel before. It's simply too easy, I couldn't believe it.

All in all, it was a great day, very long, but great.

Snapper shows on the sounder

post-3592-144599086099_thumb.jpg

The 4 I kept

post-3592-144599086077_thumb.jpg

Our combined bag

post-3592-144599086089_thumb.jpeg

One of the marlin, the other we released whilst it was still in the water.

post-3592-144599086095_thumb.jpeg

Well done bud. However is there is something wrong with the sounder/gps pic... Can you fix that and repost the pic? ;)
Yes mate, for some reason it wouldn't post with the co-ordinates showing, I couldn't even seem to type them in without them turning in to a bunch of x's. No idea why hey, LOL.

I promised the mate that took me out that I wouldn't share his spot on here, all I can say is it is on the outside of Moreton about 1 and a half hours from Scarby.

Well done bud. However is there is something wrong with the sounder/gps pic... Can you fix that and repost the pic? ;)
Yes mate, for some reason it wouldn't post with the co-ordinates showing, I couldn't even seem to type them in without them turning in to a bunch of x's. No idea why hey, LOL.

I promised the mate that took me out that I wouldn't share his spot on here, all I can say is it is on the outside of Moreton about 1 and a half hours from Scarby.

Just shit stirring man! :) Don't share marks, you work hard for them. :)

Moreton is easy anyway. Head to the cape then spot the 1000 other boats.

Just shit stirring man! :) Don't share marks, you work hard for them. :)

Moreton is easy anyway. Head to the cape then spot the 1000 other boats.

I know you were mate :) We saw the thousand other boats a long way off in the distance from where we were. Noone seemed interested in following us out where we were.

Archived