Australia Day Long Weekend: Stradbroke Island

Angus

Well it was another cracking weekend...

Arrived Friday night to absolute pouring rain. Not to be perturbed we did a little rain dance and settled in for an early night. The pre dawn was not much better so we headed over to Dunwich for some wind protection. Going was slow but I did manage a nicely coloured little GT that gave me a good run on my 2-6lb rod...

post-63-144599095643_thumb.jpg

Turned out to be a much better afternoon as weather improved and we pieced together a nice meal on the rocks...

post-63-144599095653_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599095659_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599095664_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599095669_thumb.jpg

After a humble feed :P

post-63-144599095674_thumb.jpg

,,, and an early night it was off to rocks for a morning session. Things were interesting right away as when we arrived we saw a decent number of GT's smashing bait into the rocks. Now these fish ranged from about 60cm right through to over a meter so adrenaline was pumping...

First one I hooked was this fella. I cannot decide whether I am sad it was not a metery but I doubt I would have a picture if it was...

This species has been a massive target for me for a while now so I was pretty pumped. 72cm and I was happy with that on 20lb.

post-63-14459909568_thumb.jpg

Next awesome occurance was dads first hook up on his new Nordic Stage Scout. Dad has hooked a few kings before on lighter gear here but been dominated. This time he did the dominating and his first landed kingy was secured...

post-63-14459909569_thumb.jpg

post-63-1445990957_thumb.jpg

That afternoon I took a couple of kids I work with fishing. I had run into them the day before and I am a sucker for getting kids into fishing. It was good fun with quite a few little dart caught.

post-63-144599095706_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599095711_thumb.jpg

Next day...

Well photos do not do this one justice as to say it lightly... We got owned!

Henry and both hooked up to those big GT's. I popped my leader after losing nearly all my line and Henry... Well he did not get the chance. When he tried do grab the spool it was so hot it burnt him. My dad could fathom the smoke coming from the drag. At least we now the origins of "getting smoked"!!

post-63-144599095717_thumb.jpg

Not a bad way to Australia day long weekend.

Angus

Great fishing Angus. Probably should put that island on our agenda. The vittles are gourmet quality.

The GTs look very much like our jacks which are also a challenge. We fish for amberjack around wrecks. Whether you land the fish or not has nothing to do with your skill. The fish has to make a mistake or you do not have a chance.

[attachment=76173]amberjack.sf.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=76174]jackcrevelle.sf.jpeg[/attachment]

Amberjacks also live here and are caught in much the same way.

Your "jacks" would def be some sort of trevally by Australian standards...

Strabroke Island is pretty great and doable as a day trip although I recommend a night at least. Let me know if you do head there are I can point you in some interesting directions.

Angus

Great report & photos again Angus. You guys and gals land some excellent fish around the rocks.

I really like the Nordic Stage shirts as you may have noticed in the reports. :whistle: I don't have just the one stinky shirt either, :sick: I rotate a couple. ;)

Do$tyles face..... lol (sorry) Nice report mate

It really does sum up how it went down and how I felt. It was all done and dusted in around 40seconds. The epitome of bringing a knife to a gunfight. My poor 2500 stradic had no chance and now some poor fish has around 110m of 15lb Frog braid following behind it. It was a calculated thing though - based on the 2 catches the day before I thought it would just be a challenge to land a fish, not that I would get absolutely owned.

And to correct Angus' choice of words, his dad didn't "fathom" the smoke. We saw the smoke coming off the spool/drag. Haven't had a chance to take the drag apart yet to check the washers but I have a feeling the felt washers are doomed.

Great weekend mate and can't wait to get back there with my GT popping gear... just gotta get that broken guide fixed.

Archived