Tracing back to the roots

samsteele115

It's often nice to venture back to where my lure fishing obsession first started.

I had a spare afternoon on Sunday so I decided it would be a good idea to check out some skinny creek terrain after the recent downpours. I met up with my mate Craig who lives in the area and we made tracks to an old favourite spot of mine.

Upon arrival I noticed the water level and quality was absolutely perfect; a big improvement from the last time I saw it!

My first cast into the first tiny pool resulted in an instant surface hit and a landed fish after a brief tussle to pull it out from the bank and sticks.

I realised that I had never caught a fish first cast of the day before!

post-11925-144599096901_thumb.jpg

The next few hours we strolled from pool to pool having fun on some hard-hitting surface bass. It was great to see some parts that used to be very shallow are now small pools again that hold hungry bass.

post-11925-144599096911_thumb.jpg

I landed 6 and Craig landed 1 as well as the usual abundance of surface hits and short strikes without hookup between us. They were all healthy looking fish and very dark in colour.

post-11925-144599096922_thumb.jpg

post-11925-14459909693_thumb.jpg

My casting was spot on that day and Craig's not as consistent as usual. It really goes to show that casting is the most important part of fishing the creeks successfully, especially when surface fishing under the hot afternoon sun. It's never easy with all the surrounding vegetation either!

Here's the angry little fella Craig hooked on a cicada lure.

post-11925-144599096939_thumb.jpg

post-11925-144599096949_thumb.jpg

A few years back I would not have pulled a couple of those fish out of their snags on 6lb, and probably wouldn't have even hooked most.

It was pleasing to see how much my fishing skills have improved and my continuance to fish just hasn't been a complete waste of time :lol: .

It was a very relaxing afternoon and not a bad session for the tight country. We had a blast!

Keep on fishing,

Sam.

Very cool report man well done. Really enjoyed the sentiment that was applied :)

Its attitudes like that make me want to keep fishing (and keep the website going). So much better than a lot of the trash talk that goes on out there that is fishing related.

Angus

nice report mate, always great to see what's lurking right on our doorsteps and most of us wouldn't even know it. iv'e been keen to give the little creek down the road ago looks like it could hold bass, after reading your report i'm going to do it this weekend cheers ezy

Yep plenty of solid resident fish.

Got a 42 out of one pool not long ago when it was really dry, but decided to leave them alone after that until the next rains came. They would have been stressed enough without some dickhead putting a hook through their lip.

A lot more bass moving up now after the rain which is always great to see.

Archived