Hervey Bay Trip: Trevally Town...

Angus

Did a road trip with dad yesterday and spent the day on Hervey Bay with Andrew Chorley from Hervey Bay Fly & Sportsfishing...

The original plan was to head out chasing Tuna which was not to be as easy as hoped for two key reasons...

1: A 20 knot SE made heading far out of the Islands protection tough to say the least.

2: 6 Tuna were actually hooked with each one becoming shark food within a minute or so.

We made the executive decision to save more tuna becoming shark food and look for something else.

This is what I love about Andrew's knowledge and mind set... If something if not working he always seems to find something else to do. Yesterday it turned out to me copious trevally!

Dad was the first to hook up with a solid Golden. A first for him on several accounts being style of fishing, species of fish etc...

post-2756-144598538847_thumb.jpg

Soon we found the brassy trevs and they started coming in thick and fast...

post-63-144599097623_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599097634_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599097645_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599097657_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599097668_thumb.jpg

We did also get a smattering of other things such as school macks, hussar etc.

One photo I do regret not getting was easily my PB Cobia. I fought this fish all the way to the boat. Andrew grabbed him and on his final role spat the hook and swam free. All good :)

Despite conditions being tough further out in the protection of the island was just stunning.

post-63-144599097678_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599097689_thumb.jpg

All in all a great Monday and a good catch up with the old man!

Cheers.

Angus

post-63-144599097611_thumb.jpg

Wow that is amazing. Nothing like a session chasing trev's as they fight like there is no tomorrow. Only wish they tasted better!

I'm trying to organise something similar for my dad too. Unfortunately HB is a bit too far for him to travel so I need to stick to Bris/GC.

But a mate of mine's B'day is coming up so i'm going to book in a day with Hervey Bay Fly & Sportsfishing as I have never seen a bad report, and always see such great results from their customers.

Thanks for the report Angus!

No worries man. Yeah that is my 3rd trip with them and all have been good.

For the record Dad and I went up Sunday night and back Monday evening. It is a little bit of a mission but ultimately worth it.

It is worth it. I could not recommend this trip more and I have simply never had a "great" experience with an existing GC charter.

Look forward to hearing how the trip goes whenever it is!

Angus

What a session... Gives me inspiration to do a similar thing with my old man who has nil fishing experience.

Well done :)

Yeah dad loves fishing and is open to trying whatever which is great.

His angling successes have definitely been escalating by trying new techniques. I love that when he heads down the beach now it is with a flick stick and a plastic accompanied by a surf rod and alvey...

Angus

Reading the report I have a tight muscle!

Such a fantastic place to go and catch fish with Dad or anyone.

I'm getting excited already Sam Steel and I will be there in 6-7 weeks time hoping to camp and Wathumba Creek one night. Hope we can get some Tuna in before the sharks make a meal of them.

I see you're using the trusty FJ stratics. ;)

Hahaha classic Wayne :lol:

Been excited since last year. Bring it on :woohoo:

Excited about the 'tight muscle' or the fishing .......... ? :silly: :ohmy: :P

Nice work Angus, top day out. Roughly how deep was the water you hooked and fought the cobia in?

Mate less that 15 foot. We saw it a few times before we hooked it.

Followed dads golden in actually.

Angus

samsteele115 wrote:

Luvit wrote:

Hahaha classic Wayne :lol:

Been excited since last year. Bring it on :woohoo:

Excited about the 'tight muscle' or the fishing .......... ? :silly: :ohmy: :P

Nice work Angus, top day out. Roughly how deep was the water you hooked and fought the cobia in?

Don't know Kel, knowing Sam it could be both :lol:

Cheer Tugger it really was.

It was one of those bitter sweet moments where although the extent of the fight was enjoyed... Is this photo reliant world I still really wished I had one!

It was also cool seeing before hand. During the fight I thought I was onto a Golden and actually made the joke "imagine if it was the cobes"...

Angus

Archived