Scratching my head over starter issue

max pwr

Went out to Curtain on Sunday and drifted a million times then when we decided to head home the starter spun but did not engage. We had to be towed home as I did not have tools on board :blush:

Pulled the starter yesterday and as I suspected the bendix gear/pinion gear was not engaging and It was stuck fast on the shaft, I had to get multigrips on it and crack it. Then I gave it a good clean, inspected the helix for wear and it was spinning freely and looked fine.

Chucked it back on the boat and started first go but next kick the starter just spun and wouldn't engage again.

Pulled the starter back out.....bendix spins freely....reinstalled and started once then same thing...nothing.

There seems to be a centrifugal clutch or something in the pinion gear itself and I'm wondering if this is damaged and initially caused the pinion gear to semi fuse to the shaft.

From memory problem is due to dirt on the bendix drive.

We used to use carbon tetrachloride from a fire extinguisher to clean them out but that is banned now so any solvent would do the job as long as it does not leave a residue.

Main thing is do not lubricate with oil as it will just attract dirt again.

Cheers

Ray

Archived