Baby Dolphin caught!

Luvit

With the weather good on Saturday the boys and I were keen to see if there were any marlin around. We hit Moreton island around 5.30am and did a quick troll past the headland with bibbed lures in case a Spanish was looking for breakfast. Obviously not so we headed NE and out wide to 120m depth because the weather was so nice. With both Luke & James catching some shut eye, they left me to exciting drone of the motor for hours while waiting for the few moments of excitement (which don't always come).

Then finally a double hook up. Not the marlin we were chasing but a couple of small dolphin fish. Not even big enough to pull drag off the marlin rods. They were still very excited though and soon they had their first Mahi Mahi.

post-11868-144599099162_thumb.jpg

post-11868-144599099185_thumb.jpg

Not Long after Luke had his second fish in the boat, he fell to the dreaded sea sickness. :sick:

post-11868-144599099174_thumb.jpg

James got a couple more in before he feel to same bug. :sick:

We stayed a little longer and caught a dozen 60cm models. We kept 6 for the table and released the others.

I took a short video I'll edit and I'll post later.

We had them all around the boat and it didn't require any skill to catch them. They would eat anything we threw in. We were catching them by dangling the SP in the water and then bang we were on. Their speed and acrobatics were impressive.

There were a couple of larger models around the meter mark but we couldn't get though the little ones to catch them.

End result we are having fish for dinner and you have to happy with that.

post-11868-144599099149_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Wayne

Well done Wayne.

They are truely an amazing fish for kids to catch.

Their visability in the water,colours,speed and acrobatics make them a pretty special fish for kids to play with.

Hopefully one day you will run across some 15-20kg brutes to give the boys some real fun with.

Can't wait for that day Lance.

Your secret weapon lure has caught dolphin and hooks a Malin in only 2 outings

Of course mate, I don't sell rubbish ,lol

We got into the dollies the other day and bagged our 10 fish in half an hour.

There is plenty out there atm.

I am hoping to run across some big ones out on the shelf this week if we get out there as there was a few out wide off the Goldy yesterday.

After the sea sick episode their asking if we can just chase tuna.

Oh well might be a deckie spot when I head offshore, OR maybe weekends will be tuna fishing only when the kids are aboard OR Toughen up I say and take a sea sick tablet and let's go get some more. :P

Archived