Thredbo Rainbows and Browns with Murrimbidgee Greenfish

ryanyoung

G'day All,

With a lower work tempo and a bit of fair weather, I managed to get a bit of fishing done over the past week.

The first session was to an urban lake about twenty minutes from home, where I raised this little fella. Whilst not my first Murray Cod, it was the first for this region, and gave me quite a confidence boost.

post-5695-144599100218_thumb.jpg

He was caught on an Impact Tackle 1/2oz spinnerbait slow rolled through some weeds. Not a huge fish, but there are bigger ones in there according to local anglers.

This past weekend, we also made a quick trip down to Thredbo, to fish the Thredbo River. I was keen as to get onto my first trout, and I wasn't to be disappointed. The first session was cold, and even though I was wearing waders, I quickly numbed up, it being a solid 3 degrees. I didn't manage a fish in this session, although I got a couple of hits and several follows. The scenery made up for it.

post-5695-144599100229_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144599100238_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144599100245_thumb.jpg

I had a bit of a break, and we went into Thredbo to have a look around. It's a very nice little town.

Upon return to the campsite, I once again headed out for another flick, this time heading downstream. Within the space of fifteen minutes, I was rewarded with the target species of rainbow and brown trout :woohoo:

post-5695-144599100252_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144599100259_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144599100263_thumb.jpg

I would have had at least a dozen more hits, but the hooks didn't stick. I wasn't too concerned though, as the scenery was pretty spectacular, and I had ticked off another couple of fish from the list.

post-5695-144599100267_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144599100274_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144599100281_thumb.jpg

The fish were only really interested in tiny minnow type hardbodies, with celtas and bigger lures being ignored. The fish were only small, but I'm already planning a longer trip down to try and get on to some of the bigger fish that lurk in the area.

Finally, I went out for a fish yesterday along the Murrimbidgee, fishing a new spot. The water was filled with families having a bit of time out, but I did manage to find some decent water, pulling this little fella out, and getting a follow off a much larger fish that had my heart thumping. I also saw a kangaroo going for a swim, which was a bit of a highlight lol.

post-5695-144599100288_thumb.jpg

That's about it for now, hopefully soon I will find some of the bigger fish in the region.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Trout country is some of the best you'll come across.

It certainly tests your dedication, camping in 0 degree overnight temperatures waiting for the first rays of the sun to start the defrosting process.

Takes me back to when we would camp on the Goulbourn river in Vic and after a couple of hours of fishing we'd head back to the general shop for a microwaved pie for breakfast. Anything that was hot we didn't care. :P

Haven't use my waders since being up here.

Beautiful country & photos.

Looks like you are working them out mate well done.

Dino

Thanks fellas, yep, gradually getting there Dino. I'm yet to find any size, but they are there too. The fishing opportunities down here are actually a bit better than what I thought, most of the lakes are stocked, and the rivers hold good quantities of fish once you get through the carp lol.

If you want a big cod Ryan get yourself down to Burrinjuck Dam

It is an amazing lake with a lot of species in it including trout and salmon,yellas,macquarie perch and large cod.

Many years ago if the lake is at the correct height,you could sit on top of Cathedral Rocks up the back of the lake and watch the big cod swimming around.

I've watched them up to probably 80lb there.

Night time fishing is also a great alternative there for the big cod,especially trolling large deep divers.

If you want a big cod Ryan get yourself down to Burrinjuck Dam

It is an amazing lake with a lot of species in it including trout and salmon,yellas,macquarie perch and large cod.

Many years ago if the lake is at the correct height,you could sit on top of Cathedral Rocks up the back of the lake and watch the big cod swimming around.

I've watched them up to probably 80lb there.

Night time fishing is also a great alternative there for the big cod,especially trolling large deep divers.

Thanks Lance,

Burrinjuck is high on my list of priorities, I just need to get myself on the water again, as I don't have a boat these days. Googong also holds some pretty big cod I have been told, and is yakable fishing the southern edges away from the crowds. Hopefully I'll have a decent pic soon lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived