Lure Actions

Cowfish13

it all depends on what the fish like the day u r on the water.

for Vibrations like jackall TN series, a slow roll is often deadly. but when the fish r inactive, try to give a lot of jerks, big or small, to entice the fish. in extreme cases, u r actually jerking the lure all the way back to u.

for spinnerbaits, jerking does not work mouch, so a slow roll is basically the only way u can do with spinnerbaits. but since u can alter the retreive speed to control the water column ( the same with jackalls), some stops might get u to a deeper water column. so when using spinnerbaits, try to give some stops to search different water column.

it's a long story about plastics.

1,for jerkbaits, jerk and stop is the go.

2,for baits with paddle tail, a retreve mixed with some jerks that let the tail work is the best bet

3, for craw imitations, keep the bait on the bottom and lift&stop, let the craw do what they should do when facing the enemies.

the main thing here is to find out what the fish like and choose the right bait and retrieve speed&methods.

my 2cents

Ive found with spiiners that making sure bounces along whatever snag your hitting. So a nice steady, slow retreive works, throwing in a pause every now and then aswell. Alot of strikes i get are on these pasuses, or just after i start to retrieve again.

With crank or bibless lures a steady retrieve rate, with some erratic jerks thrown in also gets there attention.

Also, most of my bass seem to take lures when off the ground, where as yellas seem to take bouncing along the bottom, or just off the bottom.

Also, this is just my opinion but:

I think when fishing for Bass and Yellas i prefer bigger lures with more eratic movement or eye cathing results. (Spinner-baits, wider bibbed lures, lipless cranks).

As opposed to say bream lures which i prefer to have a tighter action (SX-40's etc).

Obviously thisisnt to be all and end all. But this logic has worked for me.

Angus

Archived