Deep water bend ramp theft

Luvit

Just a quick heads up to lock everything you can if leaving your trailer at ramps at night.

After crabbing last Saturday night for 6hrs I returned to my car and did not notice anything missing. Sunday morning I found someone had unbolted my rear reversing work light and cut the wires.

We know these type of people exist and this is why I lock the trailer to the tow hitch and the spare wheel to the trailer and the weld the threads so they can not be removed easily.

I did not expect someone to go to the trouble of taking a reversing light. I bought a replacement and it was $80, think I'll be welding this one on.

Lucky I caught some muddies.

I wrote to my local Councillor re security cameras at boat ramps in the Redlands and her5e is his reply,

Cheers

Ray

Good morning Ray,

There are no security cameras in public areas that are provided and monitored by Council. I proposed security cameras in certain public areas two years ago however that failed to gain support. The reason being is that the Gold Coast Council gave a presentation of their security camera system however the cost to operate is any millions of dollars per annum.

I believe if the Queensland Police Service wanted cameras then Council would consent to the use of Council land and poles however the operation would be a cost for the police.

The parking area is lit up quite well. The problem like most of the higher risk areas is the ramp is secluded, tucked away behind shrubs and on a no through road. A 'Lookout" person could easily warn of approaching boats returning to the ramp.

It was just a warning to take extra precautions if you can.

Although annoying, :angry: these type of people have nothing in life and will never will in the future. Their mates will have the same lack of principles and will screw them over one day. :P We are so lucky we don't have to pay for launching because 90% of ramps in Victoria are pay ramps and many do not have as many facilities as here QLD. If there were security camera's etc at every ramp we would all be paying to launch to cover the costs. Just have to take the risk I guess.

Can't let these incidents stop us from doing what we love and that's go fishing :)

Very sorry to hear that, and thanks for the heads up, Deep Water Bend after Nudgee is my second ramp of choice. As you said, it's out of the way and attracts many types of degenerates. I've returned at many hours of the day and night to find fleas just hanging around there, drinking JD cans at 9am on a Tuesday morning. And also as Dino said, 'cause everyone wants to use the pontoon side lane of the ramp, it's killer for ramp rage. I was there Anzac Day a few years back when people were at boiling point.

You seem very positive about it, and I guess that's all you can do. My ute got robbed one night at Baxter's Jetty, after only being out on the water for two hours. Both ramps are well lit up, so it doesn't seem to deter. Unfortunate as you say, that it's just part and parcel with using a public ramp.

Archived