What Rod For My New Stradic 5000

fifis101

I just bought myself a new Stadic 5000, spooled it with 20lb Powerpro but I'm still unsure on a rod. I have a BCF close to home, so I mainly have been looking in there but it's come down to the Wilson Pelagic 7' 9kg ($100), the Abu Garcia Revo S 7' 10kg ($100) and the Daiwa Redback 7' 9kg ($170). I will using the combo for chasing snapper, tuna etc. Just wondering if people had an opinion on either of the rods? My main concern was that the Redback has a cast weight of only 28g, the Revo S has 36g where the Pelagic has 65g. I know they're only a guide but I'm looking at throwing 40g slugs at tuna, so I'd like the rod to be able to handle it.

I can't really assist with any of the rods mentioned, but if you're going to be mainly flicking slugs for Tuna I'd consider a slightly longer rod such as a 7'6 just to help get that extra distance. Went through the same dilemma recently looking for a new rod and the options are quite limited when looking for something that will cast a decent size slug or smaller stickbaits in the 40-50g range. I ended up going with a Majorcraft Crostage, overkill for snapper but great rod for flicking lures at the bigger pelagics.

I've got 3 Stradic 5000FJ's which I use with an assortment of rods from 8-16lb Nordic stage favourites up to 15-30lb shimano terez.

They are a versatile reel; not too big for flicking plastics around and big enough to use for larger species like tuna. To really test out the reel on bigger fish I would recommend 30lb braid so you can tighten up the drag without worrying about snapping the braid when using heavier rods.

I would recommend the rods I mentioned and the revo's do feel good as well for the price.

Pick up one of the terez rods when you're in BCF next and I reckon you will be very tempted to pay the extra $$$ for a high quality rod that will allow you to put it through hell on some bigger fish.

Edit: you may feel the need to get two rods for the same reel down the track. A lighter one for fish like snapper and a longer/heavier one for casting at tuna such as the terez for example.

Yeah I have gone through all those kind of options and I think I will get myself a Stradic 6000 for a bigger combo later down the track, so I'd like to keep this one in the 20lb range.

The Revo S does seem like an ok rod but it doesn't have a top grip (which I find odd), only has a cast weight of 36g and is heavier that the other two options. For the price I'm really turning towards the Pelagic.

I just purchased a Daiwa Saltist Hyper 792 and it is a fine beast running 40lb and couldn't say enough good things about them. Matched with a Saltist 4500h reel it could well be the best outfit I have owned.

They have a model 64CJ Spin that falls into what you are after. although If you go for 30lb line, you have good options for 7foot poppering rods that are perfect for all pelagics

there is also a range from the model down that are damn fine to use http://www.motackle.com.au/daiwa-2013-saltist.html

Check out the Dinga website if you are looking at buying another one. They have a 5000FJ with a free Quantum Response rod (no idea on their quality but worst case could use it in the yak) for $229. I have a 5000FJ I bought as a combo second hand (but basically new) with a Shimano Raider 'Soft Plastic' 5-8kg 10-40g and loaded with 30lb braid which feels nice however I'm no gear expert. The rod is 7 foot. Sadly I've only manage to catch schoolie macks with it so far.

Archived