State of Origin 2015

Gad

Game One 2 more sleeps…. and for some an added 2 more grampa naps :lol:

Queensland : Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Will Chambers, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (capt), Nate Myles, Aidan Guerra, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker. Interchange: Michael Morgan, Jacob Lillyman, Matt Gillett, Josh McGuire. 18th man: Dylan Napa.

Daly Cherry-Evans out, shoulder injury?. Michael Morgan on the bench- unless Meninga goes with Nappa in an all forward bench like NSW. Matt Gillette does have a utility value if needed, in an all forward bench,he can cover positions from centre to hooker…

NSW team : Josh Dugan, Daniel Tupou, Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, Will Hopoate, Mitchell Pearce, Trent Hodkinson, Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah (capt), James Tamou, Ryan Hoffman, Beau Scott, Josh Jackson. Interchange: Boyd Cordner, Trent Merrin, Andrew Fifita, David Klemmer.

If NSW do not win Game 1, where do their selectors go from here!

Most of the below info comes from FoxSports.

STATE of ORIGIN stats: on every player 1980 - 2014
/>http://www.stateoforiginstats.foxsports.com.au/

SOO history 1980 – 2014 Games: 102

Wins: Qld 54 NSW 46 drawn 2

Series wins Qld 18 NSW 13

The ODDS

Game 1 Qld $1.73 NSW $2.15

Series Qld $1,55 NSW $2.45

The top Ten SOO most obscure statistics

/>http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/state-of-origin-2015-the-top-10-most-obscure-statistics-20150526-gh9ooz.html

1. 52.4 minutes: The amount of time the ball is in play has dropped significantly in the past 10 years. In 2004 the series average was 58.09 minutes, while last years series saw the ball in play for 54.19. A game in 2010 produced the least action.

2. 28.6 years: Queensland head into the game with an average-aged squad of 28.6 compared to the Blues average age of 25.6. NSW have three players over 30 while Queensland have seven. The Maroons have 268 games of Origin experience and NSW 106.

3. 83.4%: Queensland finished the 2013 series with a 10-year high completion rate. The Maroons have five of the top six completion rates while NSW have the bottom three. They finished the 2010 series completing 72.9 per cent of possession.

4. 1887 metres: NSW made 200 more metres in 2004 than any other team in the past 10 years. Queensland of 2006 are the next best with 1621.7. Despite winning last year's series, the Blues 2014 team does not make the top 16 for metres gained.

5. 6.7: Queensland made more line breaks than NSW last series. Queensland's 2010 team tops the chats with 6.7, with NSW's 2005 team next best with 6.3.

6. 55.3: Queensland love the decoys. Strangely, Queensland teams dominate the amount of decoys used in a series with nine of the top 10 numbers. They hit the heights last year. NSW also produced their best effort last series, finishing eighth overall with 30.3.

7. 19.7: The Blues love attacking the left short side while Queensland prefer to attack the right side of the field. NSW in 2008 and in 2009 attacked the left side 19.7 and 19.3 times respectively while Queensland dominate the top five for right side raids.

8. 4: St George Illawarra skipper Ben Creagh has scored the most tries by any second-rower in Origin. Queensland's Sam Thaiday is next best with three. Dane Carlaw and Noel Cleal also scored three times each.

9. 1.5 per game: Manly legend Cliff Lyons finished his six game Origin career with the most average linebreak assists by any half. Lyons has 1.5 try assists per game ahead of Wally Lewis, Peter Sterling and Brett Kenny.

10. 98.5%: Michael Weyman has the best tackle efficiency percent of any prop. He has a near flawless 98.5 per cent, ahead of Paul Gallen, Brett White and Aaron Woods. Nate Myles (91.1 per cent) and Gary Larson (90.8 per cent) are the only Queenslanders in the top 10.

Statistics provided by prozone

We came we saw we conquered

I reckon we would have been in with another try if the Ref didn't go to the Video Ref to check for Cameron Smith's Grounding. Ref was literally right there. Maroons already knew and were waiting, completely lost the momentum of the game.

Am I the only one that thought Billy was entitled to be shoving him (can't remember who now) out of the way for what should have been the first try because he was blocking him from the ball?????? Softest no try I've ever seen!!!! Thank christ we won anyway!!

+1 Kelvin

• 2 weeks later...

Game 2 Melbourne

Cooper Cronk has been sidelined for 3-4 weeks with a knee, meniscus tear, injury.

Queensland team:

Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Will Chambers, Johnathan Thurston, Daly Cherry-Evans, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (capt), Nate Myles, Aidan Guerra, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker.

Interchange: Michael Morgan, Josh McGuire, Matt Gillett, Jacob Lillyman. Extended bench: Josh Papalii, Dane Gagai, Korbin Sims.

NSW team

NSW has made two changes for Origin 2 with Paul Gallen and winger Brett Morris in. Daniel Tupou and Andrew Fifita out.

1. Josh Dugan 2. Brett Morris 3. Michael Jennings 4. Josh Morris 5. Will Hopoate

6. Mitchell Pearce 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Aaron Woods 9. Robbie Farah 10. James Tamou

11. Beau Scott 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Paul Gallen ©

Interchange: 14. Trent Merrin 15. Boyd Cordner 16. David Klemmer 17. Josh Jackson

I would like to see Meninga show some Steedens and elect to play Michael Morgan at 6 and Thurston at 7 in the run on side. Ten straight for the Cowboys, Morgan and Thurston must be doing something right together, one needs to tap into great form when it`s available.

Cronks a fast healer so should be right for game 3 Suncorp Std

Blues look stronger for there 2 changes, should be a good match. I'm still amazed they can afford to leave Luke Lewis out but I guess there comes a time when you need to pick the next generation.

Time will tell regarding selecting Morgan or DCE Gad. In some ways I agree, on the other hand I have a hunch DCE will have a blinder.

Being a Qlder, I so love Origin time each year.

For nine years the NSW`s media has provided as much excitement and fun times, leading into each game, as Qlders` have had with 8 in a row and going for 9 out of 10.

I love how the NSW reporters/writers and fans get behind their state team. Like baby poo on a woollen cot blanket, they love to adhere to their team through thick or thin, whether that be a normal motion or full on diarrhea.

Here is the thoughts of a Blues fan and writer taken from the Roar newsletter…
/>http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/06/10/blues-origin-selectors-need-blowtorched/

Blues Origin selectors need to be blowtorched

By Tim Prentice, 10 Jun 2015

I’ve got a heavy chest Roarers, with lots of rugby league stuff weighing me down. The heaviest burden comes via the bitterly disappointing NSW team announced by Laurie Daly and Co.

Wearing my blue-ish cap (because I live in the state), there are too many out-of-form, under-done or injury-plagued Blues heading for Origin 2 in Melbourne.

I predicted an easy Maroons win in Origin 1 in Sydney – and it could have easily have been so – but a solitary one-point win by the Queenslanders has allowed the Blues selectors to paper over the cracks and once again pick a team dripping with conservatism.

Undoubtedly, NSW will pump up and send out another highly defensive outfit at a time when they should be trying every which-way to find the try-line, and get the scoreboard humming.

Hello rampaging Raider Blake Austin? Nup. Untried, couldn’t possibly contribute to the NSW cause. He could have been a dangerous wild card for sure and he richly deserved a shot from the bench.

By naming the alarmingly out-of-form Trent Hodkinson and a non-five-eighth in Mitchell Pearce, NSW start well behind the eight ball. Again.

This pair went OK for 40 minutes at ANZ Stadium in Game 1, but the problem was the game went for 80. OK is nowhere good enough at Origin level but coach Laurie Daley felt that OK was OK. It was not.

Both halves went MIA when the series opener needed a hero. By full-time, NSW got a zero from this ordinary pairing, the not-so-shrewd selectors’ choice.

Oh, and the Maroons No. 7, Cooper Cronk, proved to be the match-winner. He was highly visible when the others were either shrinking or hiding.

I can understand why Paul Gallen was chosen, but even though he has the biggest motor of any player in rugby league history, Origin games are something else. The NSW skipper will struggle, perhaps big-time, as the game hits the hour mark. He is not match-fit. Will pretend he’s going OK, when he is absolutely stuffed.

As for gambling on Robbie Farah at No. 9, that’s playing with fire.

For starters he has had a very ordinary season at the Tigers and is carrying a much-publicised shoulder injury; this version of Farah is not the guy the Blues should be looking to in one of the key distribution points of the field. A really bad call to pick him.

While I’m at it, why is Michael Jennings an automatic recipient of a Blue jumper? What does he do in Origin? Does he make breaks, go in search of work, does he really get involved? Just three tries in 13 games for a so-called prolific try-scorer? Not good enough.

The selectors should have strongly considered South Sydney livewire Dylan Walker. Maybe next year, maybe not. Loyalty, old chap.

The Blues have again elected to run without a utility player on the bench. If that’s not rolling the dice with so many injury and fitness questions over the team, I am completely unfamiliar with dice-rolling.

The omission of the damaging and unpredictable Andrew Fifita is very strange, I was surprised that Parramatta’s Will

Hopoate was retained on the wing after offering precious little in Origin 1.

And the Blues will be fielding a fullback with absolutely no passing skills. He doesn’t know how to offload, never has. Josh Dugan had one chance to do so in the NRL game against Canterbury – it could have been a try – but no, he went himself.

Manly’s try-scorer and try-maker Brett Stewart could buy and sell this very limited footballer.

By now, you may have the impression I do not fancy NSW’s chances of squaring the series at the MCG. I do not, and the NSW selectors should be grilled unmercifully in the aftermath. But will that happen?

Nope. Zippo chance of that as ‘Bozo’, Lozza et al are protected species with the current media throng.

When Queensland takes an inevitable 2-0 series lead, how about the fellas from the media ask some hard and probing questions, and break the mould. Surprise us all.

• 3 weeks later...

SOO Game 3

Queensland's team: Greg Inglis, Darius Boyd, Will Chambers, Justin Hodges, Dane Gagai, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (capt), Nate Myles, Aidan Guerra, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker. Interchange: Michael Morgan, Josh Papalii, Matt Gillett, Jacob Lillyman. 18th man: Edrick Lee

I do not think too many will be shocked (or disappointed) by DCE omission.

Farah`s in NSW camp after scans have revealed a fracture to the fourth metacarpal of his right hand - one that typically needs four weeks to heal. Watching Sunday`s Cats v Cats game he appeared at times, to be restricted in his left shoulder when passing, before he broke his hand bone.

Second choice hooker Ennis will most likely be suspended for a week, carry over points and week ends charge, unless the judiciary figure he is not a naughty boy?

NSW have named an unchanged Game 2 line-up for the decider. Not convinced this will actually eventuate.
/>http://www.nrl.com/nsw-name-farah-for-origin-decider/tabid/10874/newsid/87533/default.aspx

Robbie Farah was named despite suffering a broken hand on the weekend.

NSW team Game 3

1. Josh Dugan 2. Will Hopoate 3. Michael Jennings 4. Josh Morris 5. Brett Morris 6. Mitchell Pearce 7. Trent Hodkinson 8. Aaron Woods 9. Robbie Farah 10. James Tamou 11. Beau Scott 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Paul Gallen ©

Interchange

14. Trent Merrin 15. Boyd Cordner 16. David Klemmer 17. Josh Jackson

I would guess, if Gallen and Farah play, Papalii will enquire how Gallen`s rib cartilage improvement is going and Hodges will enquire how Farah`s left shoulder AC and hand are healing.

• 2 weeks later...
:woohoo: order has been restored :)

Well and truly!!!!!! :woohoo: What a game - could never have predicted that coming, but boy am I glad it did!!!!!! My dislike (hate ....) for NSW intensified when they did that ridiculous 'hand grenade' post-try celebration 15 years ago so I was glad to see that, apart from Thurston & Hodges each celebrating goal kicks for about 3 seconds each, we managed to win without being show-offs tonight.

So ...... who is coaching NSW next year .........? :lol: :whistle: :evil:

QUEEEEEEEEEEENNNNSSSSSSSLLLLLLLLLAAAAANNNNNNNNDDDDDDDEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Queensland that was a team effort not just some playing.

I bet NSW appoint a different ref next year, Gallen was complaining the whole game, although most penalties were rightly awarded. This is the same ref that jumped for joy when NSW scored in the first game. I think the confusion comes from refs allowing to many rules to be broken in SOO. I noticed woods do 3 head highs in a row and in front of the ref and nothing was done. I think the rules should be followed no matter what game.

While I am on a rant, I watch a bit of the pommy superleague and what I enjoy is there is hardly any milking in the game, there is far to much of it in our game it spoils a good game. Also the pommy refs are right onto head highs,mucking about in the ruck and shoulder charges. I think our refs need to attend refs school all over again. I think to much ha ha.

Dino

In a night of Origin records:

THURSTON’S nine goals from nine attempts set a new Queensland mark and took him to 200 career Origin points

Thurston: 9 from 9 goals, equalled Lote Tuqiri's Qld record for most points in a single game.

Inglis is now the most prolific try scorer in SOO with 17

his two linebreaks moved him past Mal Meninga for top spot with 28 linebreaks from 27 games

The crowd: Biggest crowd at Suncorp Stadium ever/sell out of 52,500

91,514 packed the MCG for Game 2 in Melbourne

largest origin series aggregate attendance of 224,135

Final score: The Maroons 52-points was their highest single-game total eclipsing the 43 points that was their previous highest score in an Origin game (Game Three, 1983)

The margin 46 points: Qld`s largest winning margin, and now the largest winning margin in 35 years of Origin.

probable unofficial records:

1/ Sutton appearing to award more penalties (in one game) to Qld, than Barry ‘the Grasshopper’ Gomersall (rip) ever did..

2/ Gus ‘the Goose’ Gould, for the first time in his SOO commentating career could not offer a solution for NSW`s woes, and was lost for words in the 2nd half… did he leave the commentary box and not return after half time?

3/ Hopoate for metres lost while holding the ball.

4/ the largest number of NSW households to change TV channels, at the same time, to watch day one of the first test of any Ashes series.

5/ biggest 2nd game flop in SOO history, Klemmer

6/ still to come: the blood bath to follow the NSWRL 2015 post series review?

Only 2 Blues able to hold their head high after game 3, Josh Dugan and Robbie Farah.

Stating the bloody obvious: Gallen “…Queensland played better than us in every way and we’ve got no excuses.â€

Quote of the series: fulltime Game 3. Thurston yelled: “Too f...ing old?!.â€

Archived