Rockfishing Mandatory Life Jackets ?

Gad

Life jackets could be mandatory for rock fishermen

Over the past five years, 68 rock fishers have been swept to their death along the Australian coastline.

Rock fishing was the leading cause of coastal drownings in NSW in 2013/2014.

A Coronial inquest being held this week in Sydney will examine the issue of mandatory life jackets for rock fisherman.

The coroner will examine the deaths of eight rock fisherman over the past three years in NSW.

/>http://www.qt.com.au/news/life-jackets-mandatory/2658078/

Why interfere with the Darwin theory? I saw a guy drown at Bogengar way back. He was wearing waders and had already been knocked over a couple of times by bigger sets rolling in and his mates had been yelling at him to get up higher. Sank like a stone and there was nothing anyone could do to save him.

Personally I wouldn't wear one even if it was the law (another one!) but the choice is already there for those who want to take it.

I agree with Old Scaley on Darwin's theory or natural selection in this instance.

However, kids who are taught by these people are innocent, and following the example set by these walking dead. I think a rule such as this is not only for the immediate danger to fishermen, but to protect future fishing generations from making these same mistakes.

Passing a law that you have to have one in your possession or set an age limit to whom it is a requirement to wear one (say 18 or 16) might be a happy medium between having to wear one,not having one at all, and protecting the younger fishermen in our community.

It is easy to say Darwin but things are not always that simple.

I fish the rocks with dad and lot and we consider our tactics smart and careful. We only fish in decent weather, we scan sets for up to 15 minutes before we fish and we always fish in at least pairs.

However even then the occasional freak wave can happen and there are been semi close calls. The example Old Scaley gives I think is extreme as a cautious angler could still be wiped out in one go.

I do not think life jackets are a terrible idea for this reason.

One of the main places we fish there is actually life buoy but I have often thought it is far to high up to be of any realistic use.

• 1 month later...

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter

Report recommends mandatory lifejackets for rock fishers

02 Jul 2015

THE NSW Deputy Coroner has today recommended the mandatory wearing of lifejackets by rock fishers in the state, following findings related to several recent rock fishing related drownings.

In announcing the findings, Deputy State Coroner Forbes recommended the "introduction of legislation requiring the mandatory use of life jackets by those engaged in rock fishing."

The Coroner also stipulated any requirements for the wearing of lifejackets by rock fishers could be subject to a 12 month grace period.

Lifejackets used for the purspose of rock fishing too would have to comply with Australian Standards, and the legislation would be introduced with a dedicated education campaign.

The Coroner's findings outlined the consideration of "initiatives to facilitate the wearing of appropriate life jackets such as coupons or gift vouchers for free or subsidised life jackets or life jacket borrowing scheems for those engaged in rock fishing."

Read the Coroner's findings in full http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/Rock%20fishing%20Findings.pdf

The Recreational Fishing Alliance of NSW (RFA), the representative body for the state's rec fishers, has welcomed Deputy State Coroner Forbes' report.

The RFA of NSW says it now awaits the NSW Government's response to the Coroner's report and any indications of when and how it might act on the recommendations.

In anticipating the handing down of the Coroner's findings, the RFA of NSW had stated in a media release: "rock fishers must have the ability to choose between a range of suitable personal safety buoyancy aids, that are appropriately designed and fit for purpose, are comfortable to wear or use whilst rock fishing on any day or during any season.

A buoyancy aid like a wetsuit, fishing buoyancy vest, or an approved Australian Standard life jacket all have the ability to keep a person afloat, allowing them to swim to safety, or wait and be rescued, providing someone has witnessed the incident, or called 000 for assistance."

The RFA’s President and Chairman, Stan Konstantaras said the “RFA will continue to work with our project partners the NSW Recreational Fishing Trust, NSWDPI – Fisheries, Surf Life Saving NSW, various multicultural community groups, and local Councils to increase the publics level of water safety knowledge and awareness, making sure they stay safe when at any beach, fishing or walking on any rock platform, or near any other body of water.â€

The RFA estimates there are 65-100,000 fishers of all ages and backgrounds who go rock fishing each year.

To reduce the number of coastal drownings the organisation advises rec fishers to assess conditions before going fishing, stay alert to changing conditions when fishing, never turn your back on the ocean, wear light hi-visibility clothing and proper footwear for the rocks, and have appropriately designed and affordable buoyancy aids or life jackets.

NSW have been running their angel rings program and education campaigns for quite a while, they are doing some good stuff. Apparently our immigrant bretherin are highly represented in the statistics, not used to surf and slippery rocks where they come from. That's why all their brochures about rock fishing are in multiple languages.

Archived