Landbased Threadfin?

curranboy99

Hello

Is it possible to target threadfin salmon in the northern moreton bay creeks/rivers from shore? (Brisbane river, Pine River, Pummicstone Passage) I know they can be found in the Brisbane river but not sure landbased.

And if I can get them landbased what lures/baits would be ideal (thinking 50mm - 70mm lipless crank baits) + would 5kg Braid be enough to land one?

I can't see why you couldn't get them land based in the Brisbane river. In fact I am sure there are plenty of old threads that would give you a few clues. More likely in summer though. For lures, I think something that gets down deeper than a crank would be the go. Transom jackals and locally made Threadybusters would be the go, but they are too dear to be losing on snags which is what might happen f you are fishing Pinkenbar wall, so maybe try some cheaper metal vibes, but upgrade the trebles.

For bait, prawns are good. Live if you can get them. If not, get some fresh prawns from woollies or Coles. Cheaper and better than servo prawns. Good luck!

thank you Old Scaley I have been really wanting to get a threadie for years but never bothered (thinking that it is too hard) i'll try those cheaper vibes but i'll will for sure change the trebles since they are not very sharp as well as some woollies prawns when it gets a bit warmer (about 4-6weeks) and persist thru the warmer months

Absolutely you can target them land based, some of the guys who pioneered Brissie river threadfin fishing were land based only and they would regularly catch double figures of threadfin and jew.

The fish aren't as plentiful as they were back then but there are guys who still get out there and bag a few, the guys that I know that target them prefer to fish for them through the cooler months and will generally fish of a night time.

Soft vibes, blades, prawn/shrimp profiles, different soft plastic profiles and hardbody/crank baits will all produce fish.

The poor old threadfin seem to be copping a lot of pressure over the last few years both recreationally and commercially in and around the Brisbane River. Still seems to be plenty caught though. Let's hope the numbers stay strong because the river seems to be a haven for them!

Good luck.

Archived