Doesnt Any Body Fish Anymore

Dinodadog

It seems everybody is either very lazy to take 10mins to put a post up or they dont fish anymore.

Where are all the experts reports, you know the ones that have plenty to say about others reports but dont contribute themselves, if you can take the time to answer posts then take the time to put up a report.

Are all the people that call themselves fisher people just goind to let this site die a slow death.I know there are other fishing sites that dont see a post go up for weeks on end, I would hate to see this one go that way.,

I know I know facebook and instagram have taken over,but to me they dont come close to what this site used to be. I also know that a lot have left the site because somebody has given them a hard time. Well all I can say is harden up and let it slide off your back like water off a duck.

Please take the time to wack a post up and keep this great site alive.

Dino

I couldn't agree more Dino, The attendance book has the answers, fewer anglers catching fewer fish, except for you and one or two others. For mine,at 82 I've got to the stage of being unable to fish because of my worn out shoulders. I'm just debating whether I will renew my boating licence this year but I think I'll keep it going cos I've had great fun since 2000 when the fish were enormous trophy beasts and heavy stocking is still needed to get back to that level so my $110 will do it's bit.even if I can't handle them anymore. B) Tight Lines :cheer: Ian M

Well said Dino. It would definitely be very sad if this site became similar to other ones without reports. Being in year 11 I've been finding it hard to get out for a fish much this year but once I get a chance to get back into it you can guarantee I'll be reporting all my trips.

I guess I could post up my 30 page physics assignment if you want some light reading :P

James

It's now the time of the year when the cold water puts freshwater fish into hibernation mode. Bassin mates including myself have had many fishless trips where we simply enjoy being outdoors enjoying the flora and fauna. But no fish pics to post. I was chasing bass on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Brissy River, local rivers, Wivenhoe and NP Dam for 2 hits resulting in one 40cm river bass.

post-10975-144599116247_thumb.jpg

Landbased bassin is challenging in winter so it's just as well I love long bushwalks. I was out yesterday walking the NP Dam with my waders and backpack. Water is still high and I didn't score a hit despite tripping on a submerged tree and getting half wet! Happy fishing guys and try to keep dry!

post-10975-144599116261_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599116271_thumb.jpg

Well said mate. I always try to put up posts about when I head out. Unfortunately that has not been often due to windy weekends(I only fish offshore). I do agree that this is yet another thing facebook is destroying. Mon - Fri, 8 - 5 does have it's downsides.

However I'll be up at 1770 during Sept. for the Ausfish M&G. So hopefully I'll have some kick ass reports to post up.

On that note, I still have room in my house for the 12th - 19th of September. If anyone was ever thinking about heading up with their boat, this is a great chance. It's $116 for the week for the house.

ill be honest, i'm pretty lazy with taking photos off my phone and uploading to here, i will try to put more effort into posting more frequently! I rarely if ever put photos on public facebook pages as no matter what there is always someone that will have a winge about how you hold a fish no brag mat shot etc. id much rather post stuff here. so i will try and get my act together!

Cheers, Glenn.

Shame to see posts on facebook and nothing about wc on afo,

cheers

ray

Facebook has killed a lot of forums Ray and I think it is the main reason.

A lot of BFO/AFO anglers regularly posting fish on Facebook that never make it here.

It is a lot quicker to just post a picture and get likes than do a report I guess.

I use Facebook but always report however average a session but it is hard to insist others do so.

My winter camp report is coming :)

Angus

I put up a post on a trip OS. No replies (admittedly it was the type of fishing that young guys find too hard :)), so I probably won't bother in future.

It's not about replies man at all. I liked your Christmas Island report. I didn't reply as I had nothing to add, and I won't reply for the sake of replying. It's more the likes you get on a report that count.

Don't not post, keep posting reports. I respect the fly fishing sport and like seeing the captures. Just because it's not my style of fishing doesn't mean I don't appreciate it.

Very well said Dino, I've thought the same for a while now. I believe there's a lot of factors involved these days, and not just social media. There seems to be a lot more people fishing these days, and from speaking to others at the ramp, catches aren't good. I spoke to someone a few months ago who said he used to post to a few forums about his adventures. He said he was very dubious about exacts but still gave general locations, said he go out the next day and there'd be thirty boats in the area he'd fished the week before. I often think have many others felt the same way, and become tight lipped about their reports.

I for one try and get out at least once a week, however being someone who's always trying something new, 75% of my fishing excursions usually end up in no fish. This time of year I focus on snapper, flathead and whiting, and as of late, the only fish making it into the boat are whiting. A few years back I put up a few posts about chasing winters and the feedback I got was tongue-in-cheek eye rolls. Oh well each to their own I thought, I won't bother post about bread and butters anymore, people obviously want excitement in their reports!

Don't not post, keep posting reports. I respect the fly fishing sport and like seeing the captures. Just because it's not my style of fishing doesn't mean I don't appreciate it.

Much like demarc said, I'm not interested in freshwater fishing(or anything to do with bream), however I still read everyone's reports and think to myself, "Geez, he did well." So keep 'em coming, I'll try when I can.

The social media ones are terrible, I have a few of them on my facebook. Catching 30cm flathead & 15cm bream and taking a photo 10cm's away from the camera is little dick syndrome. Or they are looking for support, with a generic photo of the water with a "wish me luck" post.

Just finished building our new house and moving in.

Also get married in 6 weeks :P

Both a terrible excuses not to go for a fish.

Busy man, but will always post trips when I can.

There seems to be a lot more people fishing these days, and from speaking to others at the ramp, catches aren't good.

But Moreton Bay is a 'sustainable' fishery? B)

I report less these days because I catch less. Haven't really found the snapper in the river since the floods, but it might be cyclical thing. I reckon 30% of my trips are donuts and most of the rest are a couple of legal flathead. Haven't caught a threadie for at least 12 months and keeper snapper are a rarity for me now. Having said that, I almost exclusively fish lures or plastics these days so probably have a bit of technique to refine.

It would be a shame to see this site wither away. It has a good feel to it with most people posting respectfully and lots of helpful people as well.

I don't fish anymore, I throw lures around for very little reward, it has been a lean couple of years for me. When I do get out it is usually to chase bream and like was mentioned up the page, people aren't really interested in that so I don't bother with a report on here. I throw a few pics on Facebook and Insta and be done with it

I had a ball at winter camp as did everyone who attended, story of my life though I threw lures around all day for no love.

Hi guys, i am guilty of not posting any more as well, i was posting a Gold Coast report once a week but it didn't seem to arouse much interest so i stopped.

Will put last weeks report on the site and see what happens, still plenty of fish around down this way.cheers wayne

Hi guys, i am guilty of not posting any more as well, i was posting a Gold Coast report once a week but it didn't seem to arouse much interest so i stopped.

Will put last weeks report on the site and see what happens, still plenty of fish around down this way.cheers wayne

Please post regularly Wayne. Even if no one replies, I think we all recognise you as a legend and love reading your reports.

My thoughts pretty much mirror Steve's (except, being a jewfish addict, I probably am successful at donuting slightly more often than his 30% ..........). Having had our 2nd bub 6 months ago my trips have been few and far between but when I do go out and catch something remotely interesting I do a report to contribute to the site and give people something to read.

I'm still not on FB but probably will take that leap at some stage. Being a dinosaur (I generally prefer to steer clear of technology if given the choice ....) and a teacher (I need to look into how to set it up so the whole world isn't privy to my life) I have been reluctant so far but it seems it would be another avenue of keeping in touch with what is biting (although seemingly more through photos than text/reports?).

Like Steve said there is a good bunch on here and at the moment a lot of the turbulence of days gone by seem a distant memory (for newbies there was a period when every day you were logging on to see who was going to have a hissy fit at who). I hope that those that have been on here for a long while remain and report when they can, comment/like other's reports occasionally and that, bit by bit, new and probably younger members keep getting added to the mix. I'd certainly like to still see it around (in an active form, not just holding on) in a few years time when my two boys and I are zooming around the bay in the next boat and hopefully catching a few more fish!!

I think the key to keeping this site going well, and restoring it further, is reporting when you can and if you read a report you like, let the person who bothered writing it know, so that they are motivated to bother putting another one up. My 2c.

It seems many have stopped posting because they felt with little responses or lack of 'thank you's' posted it wasn't appreciated for the effort that went into the report.

I have thought this myself on occasions. As an example I have spent 4 plus hours to editing video footage to post a 5 minute video. Then follow it up with a report with a few photos. A report takes around 20 minutes.. The responses to the reports are far more than to the videos yet they take a fraction of the time.

When making videos I have in mind that I will be posting them. The videos are done primarily for myself to look back on into the future to have a record of trips I did with my kids and friends. I think you can learn a lot from watching things back later regarding techniques etc

As humans we all have the need to feel appreciated for our efforts. It only takes one second to push the thank you button to let the author know their efforts have been appreciated . We are pointing the finger at social media sites for the drop off in activity on AFO. I know after a hard day's fishing and a long day out it takes considerable effort to take the time to write a report and post pictures. But please put the effort in and the site will be much better for it.

I have been on social media for probably four months now and in my own opinion I do not think it is anywhere near as informative or as helpful as AFO has been. Yes we see a lot of pictures of great fish but very rarely do we see any information or tips shared.

Most fishermen are willing to pass on what they have learnt if they like you . If you take the time to speak and help people you will have the favour returned. I have met many good people on this site and it has helped me so much when I first moved here from Victoria. I hope it grows again to be that helpful informative site I first first found it to be.

I have had a constant stream of interstate visitors for the past couple of months. I hope to get out fishing soon and post some reports tight lines everyone.

We need the personal feel back by way of more socials. I for one would love to do one at Tipplers. Lots of fishing everyone can do there, river and offshore(Pin Bar not far away).

I might even steal Tim's old idea and do a bait vs artifical social...

Lots of awesome points raised...

As for socials the facilities are here for members to organise so please go ahead! When I started this site I had a lot more time to invest and organised a lot more socials but those days are gone. I will try to organise more (some great suggestions came out of Winter Camp) but with the membership base we have I think it is reasonable to expect members to help achieve this goal and help sustain a site that has given them loads of info and new mates.

I also agree with acknowledging others posts. I think this went wrong when there was a serial pest who effectively cut and paste the same response to get his post count up. After that there was a somewhat negative view of simple "well done" or "great fish" style answers. I personally do not think there is a problem with posts like this and when sincere are obviously so.

Threads like this are great as they might help stir some pride back up in the membership but remember (and I have said this 1000 times in the past) activity begets activity so if you want more reports make sure you support them and make some yourselves when possible and traffic will build naturally.

Angus

As for socials the facilities are here for members to organise so please go ahead! When I started this site I had a lot more time to invest and organised a lot more socials but those days are gone. I will try to organise more (some great suggestions came out of Winter Camp but with the membership base we have I think it is reasonable to expect members to help achieve this goal and help sustain a site that has given them loads of info and new mates.

It's not on your shoulders at all Angus, regarding socials. You need to attend a few as a member, not organiser. I think you deserve a break like that.

You get out, what you put in. I have a 1770 trip in September. So when I return I will try and organise a social at Tipplers passage camp grounds and have a bait vs aritficals comp(all for fun).

to be honest, since selling my boat and hobie, I rarely get out and fish these days. I am more of a summer style angler and love chasing the sharks! so now coming up to summer I have spent some time preparing and am just about ready to go. as I have not been a properly active member on here in some time I am not to sure what the general feel is about catching sharks now (anything over legal size im talking about)...it tended to ruffle a few feathers and used to cause a few heated exchanges. regardless I look forward to putting some reports up in the coming months!

I have had a constant stream of interstate visitors for the past couple of months. I hope to get out fishing soon and post some reports tight lines everyone.

Bl00dy Victorians!!! Stop visiting so Wayne can go out, catch big fish and put reports and videos up for us to read/view ........ :)

Bl00dy Victorians!!! Stop visiting so Wayne can go out, catch big fish and put reports and videos up for us to read/view ........ :)

I'm not fussed, big or small fish are fine with me. No round fish, doughnuts :silly:

I've just returned from a huge popping trip but unfortunately I can't find any more photos that aren't water marked and I've also been quite unwell and been in hospital for the last week.

I also haven't been doing too much local fishing between working away or doing big hour shut downs but will hopefully get back into the surf Tailor over the coming weeks.

I still love this site but haven't visited much while I didn't have much to contribute / being unwell.

Archived