Fuel flow sensors

Tybo

I am wanting to install a fuel flow sensor to get a more accurate account of my fuel usage. Am looking at one of these:

Lowrance Fuel Flow sensor

My engine is a Yamaha 90 two-stroke, which as far as I know, doesn't support an interface cable to connect to remote systems. I currently have a Lowrance Elite 7, which is NMEA capable, however I cannot seem to find whether I can get fuel data to appear on the screen. I know some models you can, and a NMEA starter kit will be needed. But I'd like to go down this track, rather then get a separate (expensive) gauge.

My Yamaha fuel gauge works, however shows the fuel sender as bars. These bars are so vague, all they pretty much tell me is full, used a bit, used about or more then half, could run out any minute now.

Has anyone gone down this track, any tips, tricks, or advice?

Thanks Jarryd. This makes sense as there is virtually no information regarding fuel data on the Elite 7.

However according to the Lowrance manual for EP60R fuel sensor, under display units, the very first line states:

"All NMEA 2000 capable Lowrance sonar and sonar/GPS combo display units can be used to configure and calibrate your EP-60R fuel flow sensor on an NMEA 2000 network."

It even uses an old LMS 525c-DF as it's model example. Having looked through my Elite menu settings, I cannot find anything on fuel data. But the manual also states that:

"The Engine-Tank configuration menu is located below the NMEA 2000 devices list, but will only be available if a fuel related sensor is on the network."

This is where I'm confused. All signs(and others) are saying no, but Lowrance says yes, all you have to do is connect it and will become available. ?

I guess my options are, buy the NMEA starter kit and the EP-60R, connect them to my Elite 7 and see. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll have to get a LMF200 or LMF400 to display.

Thanks Jarryd. This makes sense as there is virtually no information regarding fuel data on the Elite 7.

However according to the Lowrance manual for EP60R fuel sensor, under display units, the very first line states:

"All NMEA 2000 capable Lowrance sonar and sonar/GPS combo display units can be used to configure and calibrate your EP-60R fuel flow sensor on an NMEA 2000 network."

It even uses an old LMS 525c-DF as it's model example. Having looked through my Elite menu settings, I cannot find anything on fuel data. But the manual also states that:

"The Engine-Tank configuration menu is located below the NMEA 2000 devices list, but will only be available if a fuel related sensor is on the network."

This is where I'm confused. All signs(and others) are saying no, but Lowrance says yes, all you have to do is connect it and will become available. ?

I guess my options are, buy the NMEA starter kit and the EP-60R, connect them to my Elite 7 and see. If it doesn't work, I guess I'll have to get a LMF200 or LMF400 to display.

Go the LMF route mate. I have the sensor, LMF and NMEA2K into my head units and I find I use the LMF more. It's great having the separate gauge, as it can be used for multiple things, speed display etc... Also the fuel flow sensor you're looking at is pretty dead accurate. Mine is of by 3 - 5 ltrs in the + territory which is good.

Thanks, it seems like the sensible way to go anyhow. And either way, I really need a more accurate gauge. I'm constantly doing maths out in the boat, measuring distance, RPMs and hours, hoping to get a grasp on my fuel consumption and range. However I'm almost always out by enough when it comes to filling up again at the pump.

This is something thats obviously been overlooked in regards to updating documentation, especially as it used the LMS as the example, (which is the flagship model before the HDS). Since then the Elite has been released which has SOME nmea2000 functionality but not all. The NMEA2000 on the elite 7 is limited and only supports Sharing of waypoints between units, the Point 1 GPS and a Class B AIS reciever. It will not work with the EP-60R unfortunately. I've passed the info on to update the documentation to hopefully stop this confusion in the future.

Thanks again Jarryd, looks like I'll be going down the LMF gauge route then.

If I'm not going to plug the sensor into my head unit then, do I still need the NMEA 2000 starter kit? Will the fuel sensor plug straight into an LMF gauge?

Thanks again Jarryd, looks like I'll be going down the LMF gauge route then.

If I'm not going to plug the sensor into my head unit then, do I still need the NMEA 2000 starter kit? Will the fuel sensor plug straight into an LMF gauge?

You need the starter kit mate. The LMF and fuel sensor are powered via the network.

• 2 months later...

Installed the sensor this week, along with the LMF200 gauge. Fairly easy job, not cheap though, with everything involved. Mind you, works well, and appears very accurate.

With the weather as rubbish as it was today, took the boat for a run just to do some tests. Trim and Rpm make a big difference, as does whether I have my bimini up or not. Still here are the figures I got today:

Trolling, 6kts, 1200rpm= 8L/h

(My) Cruising, 28kts, 4500rpm=27L/h

WOT, 34kts, 5500rpm, 36L/h 

• 2 months later...

Hi, that sensor looks like a good thing, I have a 70 Yamaha 2 stroke, and like mentioned above, the guage is not very accurate. I have a HDS 12 so I could get the sensor and it would plug straight in.

Is that correct? I always worry the guage is telling stories it would be great to get the correct data.

cheers

Jason.

Archived