Uni Student`s Rec Fisho Case Study

Gad

Recreational fishers become a case study for university student
/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-26/university-of-queensland-fisheries-research-project/6723394?WT.ac=localnews_brisbane

How do you encourage more recreational fishers to engage with science and collect important data?

That will be the question a student at the University of Queensland student Maria Swenson will endeavour to answer when she visits tackle and bait shops between the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.

As part of a research project for her Bachelor of Environmental Management, she will investigate why recreational fishers decide to participate in government run citizen science programs.

"[i'll be] asking them a set of questions that will allow us to determine what their [fishers] key values are, or what their key motivators, so we can understand what needs you would need to fill to get them to participate," Ms Swenson said.

The survey will take a month to complete, after which Ms Swenson will present her findings to Fisheries Queensland.

Fisheries Queensland senior scientist James Webley has collected important data on the growth rates, movement and survival of significant fish species.

He said recreational fishers were vital to his work and important to ensure the sustainability of fish stock levels.

"All of that information goes into things like stock status assessments and stock assessments, which in the end helps for sustainable management of the fish," Mr Webley said.

Bundaberg recreational fisher Kevin Charteris has been involved in a tag and release program for 16 years.

He said he had gained a "tremendous" amount of knowledge throughout the years.

"I've probably tagged 1,000 red emperor of shore in the reefs and I've recaught the same fish four times," Mr Charteris said.

"Without having a tag in that same fish you would have no idea that it was the same fish and that it stayed in that same area.

"It reassures us that the system is healthy [and] that the habitat and environments are being well looked after."

Archived