Where are flathead biting SE Brisbane?

RIPIP

If I've read correctly Sept and October are the prime flathead months yet when I go out for a flick(landbased) I come back empty handed so I'm just asking if anyone has any pointers on a good location in and around south east Brisbane. I've tried Raby Bay/Cleveland/Well Pt but too regularly come back with nothing. Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of those loaded questions...

But as there seems to be a lot of new faces posting on AFO this week (awesome sign) I thought I would provide some helpful hints.

1. First of all always use the search function on this forum. There are hundreds of thousands of posts now and there is a wealth of knowledge within them.

2. Sometimes consider the HOW more the WHERE. There are not many flats, mangrove creeks, marinas or canals in SE QLD that would not have a big flatty in them... But there are plenty of guys soaking servo baits not getting them. Flathead love a soft plastic (if fished correctly) or a fresh/live bait best.

3. To support the point 2, it is advisable on here to state how you fish, or would like to fish to narrow down an answer. But remember in reference to point 1, sometimes the simplest of questions are ignored as they have just been covered so many times and this is where the search function helps.

I hope this gives you and others a valuable kick start.

My personal answer to your question...

Check the low tides and head to Lota Creek. You can wade for KM's on the flats (not in your best sneakers) flicking plastics into the channel. Using an appropriate set up (sometime like a 2-4kg 7 foot rod with a 1000 or 2500 size reel) and a 3 to 4 inch soft plastic weighted with a 1/8th jig head you have a very reasonable chance. Or you can try the same tactic drifting a bait...

Good luck!

Angus

Archived