Mud island

Ash

Has anyone fished out at Mud island? I have heard some awesome reports about the fishing and variety. Ive also heard poeple say its not that good.

I was planning to organise a trip there but was wondering if i should bother or if there are any tips?

Yeah i have heard of good and bad days at Mud.

There are apparantly good squire, and grassy sweetlip. Also plenty of small sharks. But as Ando said, nothing you cant get in the mouth. Although i havnt heard of any grassies getting picked up in the mouth?

Angus.

Fishing isn't always about full eskies as we know. I find Mud Island an excellent spot (sheltered) to take the missus and kids for a fish. It is quick and easy to get to, it is sheltered from the winds and there is always an opportunity to catch a feed. I have never not caught anything at Mud Island, it is just the quality that varies.

Still, like I say, it can be a great day out.

MickB)

yeh u hear alot of different report becose ther is always so many people over ther anything that swims through gets caught.... so u here reports about the ppl that get the stuf and report of ppl hu dont... its about luk prety much be in the rite place at teh rite time....

troy

i tihkn mud isalnd is over fished and over rated than what it is

sure there are still snapper there but you need to no what ur doing to catch

thins is what will happend with the salmon in the river ppl will here all about it and wow holy crap there salmon in the river lets go catch them* lol

I've done two trips there this week. First trip I got zilch, nothing, nil and totally zero except for the 30 knot wind that was not surpossed to blow. And I lost my popper throwing at trevally(or tune). Second trip was much better, soft wind and good tide. Caught plenty of legal bream and other under size reef fish like moses pearch and others that I dont know. Action was non stop but nothing to hit the news with. Also got a big wobbigong on a live bait. I found it worth the trip and will go again, it has potential but like every spot, you need to learn it and get in sync with the place.

• 2 weeks later...

yeh ive been fishing at mud island HEAPS of times. about 3 yrs or so years ago we use to get alot of legal squire nearly snapper sum sweet lip bream a few sharks and sum shovel nose sharks u gotta find the gutter on the moreton island side. was a great place then pobs bout a yr ago it wasnt as good as wat it use to be. se we went and tried harry atkinson reef got some decent size fish there and massive cat fish like 70-100 cm long.was really big. and we have had a double hook up with cobia at green island 75 cm and 70 or so. but im guessing it was just a skool of cobia.and a few months ago i went fihing with a mate at the mouth of teh river good fishing there got sum squire bream and a couple of whiting.

jamie

Archived