Cabbage Tree Creek - 26.09.2015

curranboy99

Hello a report regarding my first session at cabbage tree creek.

I left home at 12.30pm on the way to baxters jetty targeting whiting and bream. I Stopped in at the sandgate bait and tackle and bought a couple packets of cured sandworms which cost $12.00. Anyway I got to the jetty at about 1.10pm I knew low tide was at 1.54pm and there was a 15knot - 20knot SE wind making fishing difficult as this spot faces south.

I walked up 50m east from the jetty to the mouth and the rig I was using was 2ball sinker onto a #12 brass swivel then 50cm of 15LB Mono leader (knowing that flathead are common in this area and the water was muddy) and a Mustad Fineworm #6 Hook. My first cast I got snagged and broken off on a submerged rock. I few cast latter I hooked a fish it only felt small and when I got it in it was small a summer whiting of around 14cm - 15cm which a pelican wanted it more then me I got my photo taken and gave it to the pelican.

post-15079-144599123572_thumb.jpg

I had no success as the tide went fully slack and first started to rise so I moved down towards a canoe ramp and fished off the bank next to it. The channel was only a 10m cast and I pulled out 2 small bream cast after cast that were about 10cm long but left the camera in the car so I did not take photos. My last cast of the session at about 3.15pm I felt a whiting bite and waited for the pull and striked on the solid pull and felt a fish but felt small again but it did make the reel go zip for a second and I caught a 17cm fat summer whiting.

Archived