Bi-focals for sunglasses cheap fix.

Luvit

Being on the wrong side of 40 my eyes have taken a dive when trying to read or see things up close. Like tying knots etc.

I had my eye tested and found the script I needed bought some reading glasses for work and spoke to the optometrist about some bi-focals in sunglasses. They had some Maui Jims but only with the plastic lenses and I wanted glass lenses. So spoke to spotters and they can do them but spotter dealers want $400 dollars for prescription glasses.

So not wanting spend that sort of money when I have perfectly good spotters glasses I did a search on line and found good reviews for stick on bi-focal lenses on you tube. At $20 I didn't think I could lose. Ordered some from a dive shop in WA and had them delivered to my door.

You can just cut the lenses to fit the shape of your glasses and then a drop of water and they stick. No glue or any thing. They can be reused and removed by peeling them off or transferred to other glasses. They certainly work and I can look down and tie knots and read again.

Don't know how they will go in the heat all day but time will tell.

An inexpensive solution and no need to carry sunnies and reading glasses on the boat.

The lenses

post-11868-144599124351_thumb.jpg

The inside stuck on

post-11868-144599124362_thumb.jpg

Outside

post-11868-144599124372_thumb.jpg

Might be of help to someone.

• 3 years later...

Straddiebrad I have a great pair of Spotties sitting about 2km offshore from Coconuts in Innisfail at the beacon marker where all the mackerel sit. I lost them over board went to jump in after them and my deck reminded me of the shark we had near the boat 15mins earlier.....

@Luvit Great idea man! I am a few years off 40 but I will take note of this for the future! 

11 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

About to start a separate thread seeking advice on fishing sunglasses @Luvit, partly because I now (as of yesterday) have the same age issue ............ :whistle:

Good idea, @kmcrosby78. I am sure there will be lots of people interested in different ideas for this. I will save my comments for your thread, but still keen to hear about @Luvit‘s experience with the stick ons.

BTW, happy birthday!

They were a good life hack.

I did loose one eventually though when in rough weather l got soaked through. Because there was no glue the water got on to inside of the lenses and allowed them to lift off and l lost one. 

I now have a few sets of reading glasses so l just keep one spare set in the boat. 

Archived