Alternative for balloons

Miller 197

Hey all,

I'm staring this topic as a big of an open discussion to see what people have come up with as an alternative to using balloons when live baiting.

Using balloons works great, as it pops off straight away when a fish strikes and the hookup rate is pretty good. plus they are cheap as.... downside being you have to collect the balloon at a later stage or they are left floating around in the environment.

Ive tried using squid floats and stoppers attached onto the line but its been fraying my braid and ive had fish snip me off from hitting the float mid fight which sucks..

Maybe water bombs instead of party balloons.. They are about 1/4 of the size but still inflate pretty big.. but then they are still left floatin.. hmmmmmmm

Whats everyone else been doing?

Cheers

Chris

• 1 month later...

or.....attach another line to the balloon which runs to a cheap $10 kids rod from kmart. once the balloon pops off, you can reel it back in. you will get the issue with possibly tangling lines, but for those environmentally inclined, this could be a viable option as well as using biodegradable balloons if they do end up floating away

3 hours ago, christophagus said:

or.....attach another line to the balloon which runs to a cheap $10 kids rod from kmart. once the balloon pops off, you can reel it back in. you will get the issue with possibly tangling lines, but for those environmentally inclined, this could be a viable option as well as using biodegradable balloons if they do end up floating away

I had thought about doing something like this.. but if the balloon didn't pop off or the lines got tangled it could go pear shaped. I have enough troubles with tangles as it is haha :P

Archived