Looking at buying some new gear.

robin

Hi there,

Been a while since I have had a good fish, so getting back into it now.

I'm looking at buying 2 new rods, and I'm looking at Daiwa Crosscast Surf Combo - 11', 10-20Kg and Shimano Saros/Cranxs Spin Combo - 7'6", 1-4KG, 1 Piece, both from BCF.

Can anyone tell me if these are any good before I blow my $$$, Basically, I want the surf rod for rock wall gold coast, and the jetty, and I want the spin combo for Whiting / Bream and Flatties, is the 1-4kg too light.

Next question is, what would be the best brade to put on them both.

Thanks

With your 1 to 4kg combo, this should be OK for whiting and bream but if you get a 4kg flathead on you will have a fight on your hands, Also with a light combo when you hook a decent fish you are putting a lot of extra work on the reel, so a good reel is in order. I personally hate whippy rods even though I have some.

Dino

Not "to light" but it is all relative.

I know plenty of guys that seriously push the limits on light gear with fish well and truly above the true intentions of the rod and reel. Is this fun? Hell yeah! But if you do not know what you are doing it can end in misery and even if you do know what you are doing you can lose fish.

For the species you specified though I think the spin set up would be just fine. If you are lucky enough to hook a 4kg flatty you will be laughing anyway. I use a 4-8lb (not far off) for most of what you have mentioned plus light bay snapper etc. 7.6 foot is actually quite long for a simple flick stick... But if you are wanting cast flats etc all good. If you were wanting to use it tighter terrain maybe something around the 6.6 or 7 foot mark.

Angus

Archived