upgrade issues

rayke1938

1 hour ago, demarc said:

I'm finding the site slow. This new layout and extended delays getting it back online has kinda put me off now, I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Catch you fellas later.

I'm really sorry you feel this way. As this is a new platform we are getting used to it and so I'm sure any teething issues will soon be overcome. This new layout has so many benefits over the old layout and really will be great for the site going forward. It is alot faster and more robust than the last platform, has way many handy features and also is alot better for use on phones and tablets (we are still working on this though).

We are sorry for the time it took to migrate, but there were a few problems in converting data from 10 years into a new format and also transferring 12gb of images etc. Going forward we dont expect there to be many issues and will be ramping up the site as much as possible.

The process has taken considerable effort from us as well as personal cost so it would be appreciative if the AFO community can get behind the site if they want it to stay around. We have always promoted this site as one that you can get as much or as little out of it as you like and so we don't pressure any users to use it, but if you do like it and would like to see it get better we welcome your involvement and interaction.

Also we will soon be streamlining the forum categories and introducing a new tagging feature to make it easier to navigate the site, find posts and info you're interested in. We will also be creating more useful menu items to help with navigating the site.

Feel free to let us know suggestions as well :)

Some other cool new features are the ability to tag members in your posts like @Angus and also the ability to follow members so you can get notified when your favourite members post new content. we will write more about these features and others in the coming days

12 minutes ago, John said:

I'm really sorry you feel this way. As this is a new platform we are getting used to it and so I'm sure any teething issues will soon be overcome. This new layout has so many benefits over the old layout and really will be great for the site going forward. It is alot faster and more robust than the last platform, has way many handy features and also is alot better for use on phones and tablets (we are still working on this though).

We are sorry for the time it took to migrate, but there were a few problems in converting data from 10 years into a new format and also transferring 12gb of images etc. Going forward we dont expect there to be many issues and will be ramping up the site as much as possible.

The process has taken considerable effort from us as well as personal cost so it would be appreciative if the AFO community can get behind the site if they want it to stay around. We have always promoted this site as one that you can get as much or as little out of it as you like and so we don't pressure any users to use it, but if you do like it and would like to see it get better we welcome your involvement and interaction.

I am actually finding it a LOT faster. Just uploaded like 20 pictures into a report within seconds and they all showed up within seconds. A massive improvement my end.

Angus

I'm loving the speed of the site.  Seems to be a lot more modern and easy to use.  I'm sure in a few days most people will have forgotten what the old system even looked like and will be liking this a lot more.  I think the 'like' feature will also encourage more people to thank others seeing as it's as easy as just pushing the button instead of reloading the page.  

James

Certainly cannot complain about the speed. My problem is that I am a luddite.

Can someone please post a screen shot and show me where the like button is.

What does it mean when someone is following you? and how do you do it.

Will there be a button that you can click on to show unread threads since last visit.

Cheers

Ray

There was a problem processing your file. Operation timed out after 4470 milliseconds, 0 of 149000 bytes received.

I know how to upload photos, but they just don't get there, getting the error message above. Thoughts?

Speed is great, and so is navigating.

So happy to see the site back up again. Might take a bit to work out the new way of looking at things but I have 2 weeks off after hand surgery last week so please keep posting cos I can't get out myself and need to live my dreams through you guys.

Thanks John for all your hard work to keep this beast running. 

6 hours ago, demarc said:

I'm finding the site slow. This new layout and extended delays getting it back online has kinda put me off now, I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Catch you fellas later.

I'm sure you will get used to the new layout and before long it will soon become normal for you. You're an actively posting member who writes great reports, would be a shame for you to not contribute anymore. 

Thanks for the hard work and time put in for the upgrade guys. I really appreciate it :).

I'm posting from my Sony Xperia phone and do not see a 'like' button. Also, where is the equivalent of the old 'latest posts'? Thats pretty much the only button I used to click on.

Not being critical, change is good, but just struggling to navigate a bit :P  

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looking at getting some of the useful features like Recent Topics etc back up. You should see more of these things appear over the next few days.

Will get the issue with uploading images to forum fixed hopefully within a day.

5 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Cannot see it all i have is latest topics and mark site read tried to download a screen shot but tiimes out

Those two items - "Latest topics" and "mark site read" are at the very top of the page.

You need to look at each individual post. You'll see each post is in a white cell, with a light grey border around it. To the bottom right of each white cell is a dark/navy blue button with white text - a heart and Like this.

As we can't yet upload images, I've sent you an email with a screenshot to the email address in your profile.

13 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

Cannot see it all i have is latest topics and mark site read tried to download a screen shot but tiimes out

I hit the choose files button, and it just takes me to the top of the page, no selection box.

Did work out the drag files here bit though, that is neat. Ray, this pick shows where the rest of us are seeing the like button.

like.JPG

It's looking good and with more use we should up to speed quickly.

One thing I've noticed is that I'm still not staying logged in after ticking the remember me box. Have to log in each time.

I like the ability to tap on photos and zoom in now, sweet.

thanks John and everyone that has spent time and effort in the change over.

Loving the new upgrade so far. There's only 1 thing that annoys me now, and that's clicking on a topic and having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to read the last comment. Unless I'm missing something.

Previously there was a 'view last post' icon which made it much easier instead of constantly scrolling down.

if you come in to the latest topics page it gives a list of the latest and at the botto9m of each list it gives the elapsed time since the post if you click on the time it takes you to the last post. But does nit work from the recent posts on RHS of screen you get error message Error code: 2S136/C

Cheers

Ray

9 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Displays better on an iPad as well. Still getting used to the different way to navigate, but it looks great so far.

We will improve the navigation to make it easier. This is a work in progress  so please bear with us as we do this over the coming days and weeks B)

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎44‎:‎36‎, Luvit said:

I am staying logged in on the PC, but the iphone has to be logged on every time and that's the one I use the most.

Hi John I still can't stay logged in on my phone. iPhone 6+, IOS 8.4.1 browser Safari

It working fine on the PC, unfortunately I'm mostly working when in front of the PC so the phone is when I have the time to browse and visit the site.

I have to keep resigning in into each topic when on the phone. At the moment it is not worth using the phone for the site. Is it only me or are others having a similar issue?

cheers

Wayne

Archived