Freshwater fishing around Brisbane

Oggy174

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows any good freshwater land based fishing spots around Brisbane and the surrounding areas. I was thinking of flicking a few plastics/ lures and bait out and which plastics/ lures are best/ work for others and what bait to use

Any help would be appriciated,

thanks 

Hi Oggy

A good spot i known of is the kedron brook, which may be surprising but true. Anywhere from toombul to keppera will hold fish above the many weirs. I have caught eel tail catfish up to 55cm, heaps of mullet, and some massive tilapia some bigger then 1kg!! I have also heard of bass and perch in the lower freshwater reaches.

The best lure/s i've used are the cheap 2pk hardbodies from kmart which cost $5 and berkley gulp 2" shrimp in pink shine rigged on a sz1 1/20oz jighead. For bait i'll reccomend just bread under a bobby float, but have seen people getting success on worms and beef steak but they catch a lot less rather than using bread.

Also any of dams, rivers, and creeks in SEQ will hold freshwater fish, its just a matter of cracking the code by trail and error and gaining on-water experience as well as adjusting to the conditions on any given day.

Just my 2 cents, do hope this helps

Good Luck :)  

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎01‎:‎36‎, rayke1938 said:

NPD,North Pine,South Pine,Logan,Albert ,Brisbane River ,Bremer,Wivenhoe and Somerset all close to Bne. Read Dinos,JoeK,Bersim and Sam steeles reports in freshwater section and look at their photos for lures. Google eth is your friend to research spots.

Cheers

Ray

Ray has also been known to put up one or two reports occasionally ......... :)

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎53‎:‎42‎, Oggy174 said:

do you know what they were going on? Lures? What type?

I've seen a couple videos on youtube of the Kedron brook Bass, the kids in this certain video were using Z-man Grubs no idea of what jighead though.

But if you were going to target bass in the brook, this would be the prime time of year until march/april next year. And I would personally fish from Kalinga park to Toombul shopping centre using a Z-Man 2.5" Grub in a dark colour rigged weedless flicked into fallen timber, sunk onto rock bars, and if there is mullet schools present I would cast it past the school and burn it thru the school. Using these techniques you'll get some nice eel tail catfish and solid tilapia as bycatch.

If you do catch anything legal size which I am sure you will, make sure you release the fish back in good condition as the brook seems to being doing great considering the pollution levels and I think it is best to keep it going strong.

Archived