Quick donut report

samsteele115

Hi guys,

Loving the forum activity of late, good to read plenty of reports from new and old members. Unfortunately the last two Sunday's for me have resulted in not many fish hitting the deck of my awesome little boat.

Two weeks ago I went fishing down at the pin due to the bay being too windy for fishing. The plan was to get some flathead for dinner and hopefully catch and release some bigger flathead too. The last time I fished there my boat saw 12 legal fish in the gold coast flathead social so it was easy to assume that the same would happen. It didn't. We fished for 5 hours for 2 hits and one hookup of a nice 70cm flathead. I got it close to the boat and just as we were about to net it, she shook her head and won her freedom. Very frustrating! Not that I would have kept it anyway at that size, but it would have made for a great photo opportunity and donut saver.

Last Sunday I managed to sneak out into the bay very early before the 20 knot northerly change came through. First cast of the morning resulted in a hookup to a nice school mackerel that would have been around the 70cm mark as well. It fought very well and this time I got it INTO the net, but when my mate was lifting it on board it jumped out and back into the water. I couldn't believe it!!!! And that was about it. A couple of undersized schoolies and a tailor followed before we headed home around 9am in 15 knot chop.

We did spend about an hour or so chasing some Mac Tuna, Frigate Tuna and surface feeding School Mackerel but didn't have much success due to them moving so fast and not being able to keep up in the conditions. It was very exciting to see some surface action in the bay again and a lot of birds to help find the schools. Im just itching to get out there again to partake in my favourite form of fishing. It has been a while!

Hopefully I get to see some Longtail soon, but in the meantime I would be very content with chasing some angry little Mac Tuna on light gear :) 

Unlucky on the last minute escapees but on the plus side at least you hooked a decent fish during each session.  And besides, I only class trips if you don't catch ANYTHING, not just legal fish, so in my mind you didn't donut in the bay.  Trust me, I am quite experienced in all things donuts ........... Actually I meant to put a quick report up about 3-4 weeks ago (but then got busy with school reports and then a swimming carnival ....) when I also went down to the pin on a windy weekend.  Mucked around with crab pots which saw me miss sunrise but despite having live poddy mullet and herring, anchored just off the drop off in front of Swan Bay just before high tide and then the start of the outgoing, all I managed was one 30cm flathead.  Annoyingly, I think a school of chopper tailor came through on the outgoing and my two livies started dancing around everywhere and one of them came back in sliced in half, but of course the bugger missed the circle hook ..... Darn fish!!!!!!!

@ellicat Yes the last two sessions were poor but the two prior to that were pretty good so I cant complain. At least I hooked up to a decent fish in the last two trips so it was better than nothing. I went to a threadfin/jew seminar last night so I'm keen to try the Brisbane river but totally understand it is a fishery that may take many hours to crack a pattern. Will see how I go.

@kmcrosby78 No last sunday technically wasn't a donut I guess but the sunday before definitely was -_-. Shame about your lack of success last trip!

Where was the jew/threadie seminar held Sam?  Wish I'd known - would have been there with bells on.  Am yet to catch a threadie and have been stuck on a 75cm (two of them) jewie PB for too long!!!  Was meant to be going early tomorrow morning but the motor wouldn't start this arvo and didn't have time to take a look at the spark plugs - annoying but it is due for a service anyway.

18 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Where was the jew/threadie seminar held Sam?  Wish I'd known - would have been there with bells on.  Am yet to catch a threadie and have been stuck on a 75cm (two of them) jewie PB for too long!!!  Was meant to be going early tomorrow morning but the motor wouldn't start this arvo and didn't have time to take a look at the spark plugs - annoying but it is due for a service anyway.

It was held at Jones' tackle and it was a very well run seminar. The speakers were Steve Morgan and Troy Marien. A couple of very knowledgeable blokes and I learnt a lot from what they had to say, it was great. About 100 people attended 

On 5 December 2015 8:30:15 am, samsteele115 said:

@ellicat Yes the last two sessions were poor but the two prior to that were pretty good so I cant complain. At least I hooked up to a decent fish in the last two trips so it was better than nothing. I went to a threadfin/jew seminar last night so I'm keen to try the Brisbane river but totally understand it is a fishery that may take many hours to crack a pattern. Will see how I go.

@kmcrosby78 No last sunday technically wasn't a donut I guess but the sunday before definitely was -_-. Shame about your lack of success last trip!

I went to the same seminar, keen to get out and tag a few too. just have to wait for the new boat to arrive. that was delayed another month today. aahhhh.

3 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

I saw you there Matt but you were at the other side of the shop and too difficult to get through all the people to say hello!

Cheers mate, it was a bit packed. but it was a great talk. Im all set to get into tagging in the new year. 

Archived