Breakfast creek fishing

Oggy174

haven't been there in a long time, nor have I personally had much success. best ive done is a 40cm cod

but it is known for holding good jew, threadfin salmon, flatties, bream and ive even seen legal squire pulled from the mouth...

and of course loads of small bullies at the mouth. for most of the above live bait (herring, mullet and prawns) will work a treat there. especially either side of the tide at dawn or all through the night. a few areas of the creek are well lit from street lights which attracts loads of bait fish which in turn attracts loads of predators too.

On 6/12/2015 at 6:55 PM, Oggy174 said:

Hey, just wondering if anyone has fished at the breakfast creek lately? Not that I'm going there soon just wondering if people have lately and if they have caught stuff there and what they of bait or lure they used 

thanks 

Hi Oggy

I have not fished at breakfast creek before but do known that heaps of bream get caught there at the newstead. A good internet website to find out what people are catching in certain waterways would have to be coastwatch not coastalwatch as they will tell you on every friday arvo what has been caught recently in different regions of SEQ. Also the BEST $30 i have every spent towards fishing is a book called: AFN technical guide, fishing atlas for South East Queensland which tells you everything to do with fishing spots in SEQ besides freshwater dams and is about an inch thick. And will help you big time with breakfast creek as well as everywhere else including offshore

I have heard somewhere that the best bream bait for breakfast creek is (fresh eating grade) mullet strips and produces massive bream and the odd squire at night. But the best thing to do if you want to fish there, is just to get in the car and drive there and cast a bait of mullet or prawn into a spot you think is good and try whatever tide, wind, sun, etc. you think is good until you crack the code and most of all enjoy your time fishing.

Hope this helps :)

43 minutes ago, Oggy174 said:

Do you know if banana prawns are good bait

Banana Prawns are a good bait, i personally peel them and take the head and tail off to act more more as an easy meal and i can use the head and tail as burley. They are a cheap bait as well, seen at woolworthes for $7.99kg sometimes on clearance

But i do prefer mullet strips (skin on) as bait because i can get 2 or 3 bites out of each bait and the fish seem to love it (bream, flathead, tailor, and even jewfish apparently) 

prawns are great bait for a lot of species, but can be picked away very quickly. a live prawn can be dynamite bait for the bigger predators. try using with shell and without shell and see what works best for you.

I would steer clear of servo prawns (tweed or any other pre packed frozen prawns) and opt for fresh from woollies like @curranboy99 suggested. fresh is the same prize as crappy frozen bait. it blows me away that people still buy dodgy frozen bait.

2 minutes ago, Oggy174 said:

Can you get mullet strips from anywhere fresh? 

You can. i used to get them from woolworthes as well as the prawns but have not seen them there since september/october (thinking they have came out of season). But they are still there in pretty much any seafood shop you just pay a couple dollars more per kilo still cheap though. But i get them in fillet form then cut them up into cubey strips 2cm x 2cm and place onto a sz2 hook usually a baitholder or suicide pattern.

Archived