Enoggera Creek Windsor - Weekend Stuck at Home.

Alexx

Thanks for all the kind words. Really such a good session when compared to my expectations.

11 hours ago, Luvit said:

When you said a decent flatty I was thinking 45cm, there abouts, 66cm what a cracker.

Haha yeah sorry for the misleading comment. It was a good fish! She looked very healthy too. No lice, great colours, no sign of worms and her stomach felt like it was full of roe, good signs for the waterway.

10 hours ago, curranboy99 said:

Wow that's a good report. Very well written, easy to read, want to keep reading it, did you get straight A's in english at high school?!

Quite the opposite mate. Barely passed English in high-school, thought manly due to lack of motivation and caring for the subject itself. It has only been due to my job where I write reports everyday, that my report writing has actually had any time to develop.

37 minutes ago, Binder said:

Often see good bream and flatties caught off the bridge at Downey park, and the mouth of the drain a little further upstream.

That is the next step. We are planning to catch some live bait and make them swim out of the drain into the main creek at the high tide when the drain is covered, in the hope of catching some predators camped out on the drain.

7 hours ago, John said:

great report. thanks for sharing :fishing2:

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Mate, seriously one of the best written and easy to read reports I've ever seen on this site, well done!!  That's an incredible flathead for suburban Brisbane, truly mind-boggling. Beats my PB by 2cm!!!

Again thanks all, appreciate the feedback!

Awesome report! I have fished downstream under the ICB and around the back of the train yard and caught a few cool things. Flathead, Estuary Cod, bream...but oddly never caught a catfish in this creek! I love how close it is to the CBD and Home but lost my enthusiasm for after a couple of trips donuting, this has renewed it so thank you!

2 hours ago, Tybo said:

Great report and thanks for letting me know. I work a two minute walk from here, back up on Lutwyche Road, and have fished this area only a couple of times for very mixed results. Considering the amount of catties you got I might have to get myself down there, I need to replenish my crab bait supply.

Plenty of cats there. I would refrain from cast netting here though as there are a heap of trolleys, rocks, scooter wheels, witches hats etc, at the bottom of the creek as seen from our daily walking-of-the-pups past at low tide. 

• 3 years later...

Great report. I live on the creek just up from where you were fishing. I haven’t tried to fish here as I am concerned about the health of the ecosystem. Not sure if the fish here would be safe to eat. Does anyone have a comment in regards to this? Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Keen to try it and would like the company.

Cheers

3 hours ago, MikeJ said:

Great report. I live on the creek just up from where you were fishing. I haven’t tried to fish here as I am concerned about the health of the ecosystem. Not sure if the fish here would be safe to eat. Does anyone have a comment in regards to this? Greatly appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

I would eat them... but that is not a recomendation haha. 

Worth going for some sport anyhow. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/07/2019 at 2:27 PM, MikeJ said:

Cheers

Hey mate. I've been fishing Breakfast/Enoggera Creek for a while now. I've eaten a just legal bream and a roughly 45cm flathead out of there and they tasted beautiful! Very clean and white flesh despite being from a river in the suburbs! I noticed though that they have a bit of a richer flavour than the ones you might catch out of the surf or a more 'pure' coastal creek/estuary.

Thanks,
Will.

21 hours ago, Fisho Heino said:

Hey mate. I've been fishing Breakfast/Enoggera Creek for a while now. I've eaten a just legal bream and a roughly 45cm flathead out of there and they tasted beautiful! Very clean and white flesh despite being from a river in the suburbs! I noticed though that they have a bit of a richer flavour than the ones you might catch out of the surf or a more 'pure' coastal creek/estuary.

Thanks,
Will.

Nice one Will, Thanks for the update. 

Got any pics you could share? 

I'm not going to pretend to know what this is all about, but these reports suggest our creek water systems aren't doing too bad: https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/pollution/management/disasters/pfas/sites/brisbane-airport/water-sampling

but the seafood sampling shows periods where certain fish like Flathead are above Recreational trigger points for certain chemical groups: https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/pollution/management/disasters/pfas/sites/brisbane-airport/seafood-sampling