Finally got outside!

RUSSIAN

Hi all, 

Took advantage of the good weather forecast on Tuesday and decided against the SPB and instead went out the seaway. Got up at 3 after only having just under 2 hours of sleep due to preparing, and went out. Got out into 35 metres and zig zagged from 35 to 50 metres up to the pin and a bit further. Fished hard for a total of 11 hours and ended up going 3-3-2 on dollies which were our first pelagics trolling!  First fish was around 1.2 and second one was just over 1.2 metres. Got them around the turn of the tide. Credit to my dad and mate Justin for getting the fish. All up did over 100kms of trolling and still had half a tank of fuel left- not a bad performance from the opti. Any one else get out? Also would be keen to meet up with some of the more experienced offshore fishos and learn some things.  Would also be to get a black from the boat!

Thanks for reading 

Anthony

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

Grab yourself a spread of Pakula Uzi's, micro cockroaches and Zippers and you will catch marlin.

Rig them on about 3-4m of 100lb flourocarbon but make sure your hooks are on 2mm 7x7 wire and learn how to set them on the wave properly and troll them around at 7 knots.

The season is just starting so hopefully you will get a few over the next couple of months

8 hours ago, RUSSIAN said:

Hi all, 

Took advantage of the good weather forecast on Tuesday and decided against the SPB and instead went out the seaway. Got up at 3 after only having just under 2 hours of sleep due to preparing, and went out. Got out into 35 metres and zig zagged from 35 to 50 metres up to the pin and a bit further. Fished hard for a total of 11 hours and ended up going 3-3-2 on dollies which were our first pelagics trolling!  First fish was around 1.2 and second one was just over 1.2 metres. Got them around the turn of the tide. Credit to my dad and mate Justin for getting the fish. All up did over 100kms of trolling and still had half a tank of fuel left- not a bad performance from the opti. Any one else get out? Also would be keen to meet up with some of the more experienced offshore fishos and learn some things.  Would also be to get a black from the boat!

Thanks for reading 

Anthony

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

Very nice fish @RUSSIAN and fantastic eating as well.

9 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Grab yourself a spread of Pakula Uzi's, micro cockroaches and Zippers and you will catch marlin.

Rig them on about 3-4m of 100lb flourocarbon but make sure your hooks are on 2mm 7x7 wire and learn how to set them on the wave properly and troll them around at 7 knots.

The season is just starting so hopefully you will get a few over the next couple of months

Thanks for the tips  Lance! Much  appreciated. 

I was running  a spread of Pakulas and the same lure  caught  these dollies! I'm addicted now so just ordered some more as well haha. 

Yeah I had them rigged on 100lb and an 8/0 sl12 with some 2mm  wire so pretty right there I reckon just getting the spread working well I think. I printed off this enormous guide written my Peter Pakula  and it goes into great detail in stead setting and running teasers so I'll definitely finish reading that. 

Just up to putting more time in the water now!

Cheers guys

1 hour ago, Luvit said:

Nice fish Anthony, once the bug bites its hard not to go wide when the weather is good.

Itching to get out and get into these beauties.

Thank you! Haha I know what you mean, I'm hooked and it's on my mind 24/7. Just got a new order of lures coming in too!

I bought some adjustable Relax rod holders off Lance and I use them all the time. Extends your rods out past the prop wash into clearer water. I get most hits off the long corner and I think this is the reason.

Just something else to think about 24/7.

The Pakula web site is amazing for information, I have spent many hours reviewing it as a refresher. Knows his stuff alright and Lance is always willing to give you some local tips and experience to bring it all together. 

Archived