Redcliffe - what on earth are people trying to target?

Albinus

After a fruitless time at Bribie Island we moved to Redcliffe in the afternoon where we proceeded to clean up on bream at the jetty, much to the chagrin of others. One thing I noticed that had me puzzled. The jetty was full (by full 20+ anglers) all fishing 10 foot rods, oversized spinning reels with 20-30lb line and half a pilchard. Way oversized for what was on offer (whiting, bream, Moses perch). Is everyone targeting sharks or is there some lucrative species I don't know about?

On a side note had a giggle as to how they would winch a large fish up the jetty without a side cast reel ;)

plenty and plenty of big sharks have been caught from both the Shorncliffe and woody point jetty over the years. although if they didn't have any wire traces id also be a bit puzzled... tailor? the odd mackerel?

then again, some people are clueless when it comes to fishing. the amount of people I see using the completely wrong gear (usually way too heavey) is insane

It was peculiar that so many people were running almost identical outfits, rigs and baits. Normally you have the odd one or two but about 20? I'm aware that squire are found all along the peninsula but thought they were usually a winter thing and squid would have been more productive than half a pilchard?

I am still a rookie when it comes to fishing, and most of my fishing has been done at Woody Point. I totally understand what you are saying, I see this most days I go there. I am guilty of it, I use 3-5kg 7' graphite rod, 3500 reel fitted with 30lb braid and 30lb mono. Now I always cast under the bridge looking for bream, usually with success. I still think 30lb is ok for what im doing because if a big bream comes through (40+cm), your gonna need that extra strength (it has broken before). However for 99% of the other time, it probably is overkill. 

And yes, lots of people do fish for tailor and some sharks from woody point so that may explain the large rods? 

Also, I use half a pichard and get a bream 99% of the time although fresh herring is the best (for bream).

You can use a long rod with light line. My 5.5" Alvey pairs nicely with my 11'6" surf rod on 10lb line. Even with a decent sinker I've never had bustoffs.

I'm surprised you've been busted off with 30lb line. My PB bream was 41cm caught on 8lb line. As long as your drag is set correctly for the species and terrain (e.g. stiffer drag when you don't want them running into the snags) then lighter line offers more sensitivity and casting distance.

Have you tried a fluorocarbon leader? It's less visible than mono under water and sinks quickly. I was a long skeptic of it but now that I've switched the only mono I will use is for poppers and my surf gear.

1 hour ago, Inspiredbyfishing said:

if you had been diving under that jetty you might know that there are good numbers of huge estuary cod and mangrove jack that you will never see on a hook, only speared. (if thats even legal) But they are there.

Cool, have you done it? It's not surprising really but for a highly pressured spot that's awesome. 

On 13/01/2016 at 7:50 PM, Inspiredbyfishing said:

if you had been diving under that jetty you might know that there are good numbers of huge estuary cod and mangrove jack that you will never see on a hook, only speared. (if thats even legal) But they are there.

I'm not surprised. There's many large fish around popular structures (they seem to be well educated unfortunately)

15 hours ago, Brissy_yaker said:

I find it funny that most people that fish off jetties cast out as far as they can when the structure is underneath them..when I was younger and fished off jetties I'd always drop bait straight down or swing it under..good fish bust you off but still land a few

There was a bloke in a yak moored underneath alternating between casting and using his cast net. Smart spot.

15 hours ago, Brissy_yaker said:

I find it funny that most people that fish off jetties cast out as far as they can when the structure is underneath them..when I was younger and fished off jetties I'd always drop bait straight down or swing it under..good fish bust you off but still land a few

This is true

but for some places like woody point, there is a lot of rocky bottom away from the jetty itself that attract a lot of bream and the occasional snapper

Archived