Suzuki Outboard issue

Terry H

G'day guys

I've got a problem with my Suzuki outboard (2012 DT40W) that I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction on.

I replaced most of the normal service items, gear oil, spark plugs, fuel filter, impeller etc about 1-2 months ago

Since then I've taken it out a few times, and everything seemed to be running fine. That was until I was on my way back in from Mooloolaba and I ran one of the fuel tanks dry. I hooked up the other tank, and fired her up but started having issues at idle/low rpm when in gear (R or F doesn't seem to make a difference). Any sort of get-up-and-go throttle and it seems to thump along normally.

Not sure how to describe it, but the motor periodically feels like it loses power, and then gives a squeal before running normally again. Sometimes it'll happen in rapid succession, others not so. I've put up a little vid showing it

Since the first appearance of this issue I took it out with a fresh batch of fuel to see if it was related. Whilst I don't recall any issues when heading out from the ramp, it did start happening again after cruising around for a bit. 

Also concerned it may sound a little rougher at idle/low rpm - but not sure if that's just paranoia :unsure:

Motor seems to run fine when back at home flushing the passages out.

Video: http://vid289.photobucket.com/albums/ll203/Gogatee/Produce_zpst5uvndro.mp4

Any ideas? 

PS: I don't normally have that red safety cord hanging over the transom :whistle:

Hi Terry,

I had the same problem with the same model motor. What it turned out to be was something to do with the oil system and basically the plugs are oiling up. Because I fished in snaggy rivers I didn't always get it above idle much and this is what happened. I kept a spare spark plug and changed when it happened and rotated a set of plugs.

Try changing your plugs and you should find it will run perfect again.

If I used it in the bay and gave it a good burst going from A to B had not problems.

I crapped myself the first time I heard it thinking that can't be good.

Was yours happening only when you were in gear as well? 

It has only happened once in Neutral - and that was just as I kicked it back into Neutral from Forward gear. It was "hiccuping" (for lack of a better term) a fair bit in Forward when I kicked it back.

Just seems weird? Like it's load dependent ?

Edit: Sorry Luvit, just read your post again and clicked on the 'oil system'. This motor has oil mixed in with the fuel, and isn't oil injected, if this makes a difference?

From memory, yes it happened in Neutral as well.

As soon as I heard the video it reminded me of it. I was quite disappointed in it really, because after buying a new motor to replace a old dodgy motor I was still mucking around with it on the water.

I sold it still under warranty to guy that was going to put on his bay run about and he would not have any problems. I told him about the issue when he bought and he was not worried.

I've only taken it out 3 times now, but it just seems weird that it all started immediately after one of the tanks ran dry at the end of the second trip. 

If it occurred when the motor was heated up and run for a while, then I would have thought it presented itself earlier in the day or even the first time I took it out. That trip had lots of running up and down (Mooloolaba to Caloundra and back a few times), plus puttering around trying to find some reef structure and bird watching. 

Just seems odd, and hugely coincidental? :unsure:

Terry, check your fuel line, especially around your primer bulb hose clamps for a minute split, same careful check around the hose connection going onto the motor`s external fuel connection

Sometimes there can be a small split in the hose (or bulb) that allows air into the fuel line and opens up a little after the hose has warmed up with a bit of running around

edit: PS. also check the hose connection that clips onto the motor for any grit,crap etc that is not allowing a perfect seal onto the fuel inlet

Found this online, sounds a little similar issue but much earlier model.

Can anyone help me with my DT40 Suzuki outboard engine? The thing looses power when I accelerate......?

Then engine is a DT40 Suzuki 1985 oil injection 2 stroke outboard engine. The engine runs sound when on flush muffs in the yard in idle and high revs. I've had a marrine engineer look at it quickly before this and he found no obvious problems. The engineer advised to mix my own oil with the petrol at 50:1... show more Then engine is a DT40 Suzuki 1985 oil injection 2 stroke outboard engine. The engine runs sound when on flush muffs in the yard in idle and high revs. I've had a marrine engineer look at it quickly before this and he found no obvious problems. The engineer advised to mix my own oil with the petrol at 50:1 incase the self oil mixer didn't work as it's an old engine. So I did and on my first outting found the engine was smoking thick blue smoke and cutting out and wouldnt start again (easily). I realised then that the self oil mixer was working and that too much oil was being injected to the engine, hence the thick blue smoke. I then got rid of the self mixed petrol/oil and filled the tank with pure petrol. I took it out yesterday and the engine started 1st time, sounded good, and launched out the marina nicely at 5-10knotts. When I accelerated and got to a decent speed (as a speed boat should), after 30 seconds of maintaining that speed a clicking/tapping noise (metal tapping metal) sounded, another 30 seconds later the engine would cut out. but if i put the engine back in neutral then it would stay running (most of the time) but would not accelerate at even 8th of the speed it should and then would cut out. Once it cut out it would start after a few goes. If I maintained a speed of 5-10 knotts throughout my outings, the engine was fine. I was drift fishing, therefore was starting and stopping the engine a lot. The engine after driving it slow (where I turned it off myself) was starting by the button 1st time every time.
A speed boat is no good with the speed, can someone please help?!
Update: I recently had to buy a new fuel line, as the old one wasn't pumping fuel to the engine. Since I bought this the engine has started, would running the fuel line sraight to the filter make a difference?
Update 2: Its had new spark plugs, Compression test came back perfrect

Is the filter bowl clear and how efficient is the filter? Does it bypass if blocked?quite possible that some gunk was sucked up from the bottom of the tank and is now intermittently blocking the main jet in the carby. Put it in for a service with a reputable mechanic. Also drain tank and check for any remaining residue or it will happen again

• 4 years later...

Hi terry i have the same outboard and the same thing has been happening to me but the little squeel noise stalls the motor, this noise also happens when pull starting after it stalled. It doesnt happen in neutral.

what did you do to rectify it?

ive changed plugs, new fuel line and tank, new filter and a recent service 

thanks mick 

On 21/01/2016 at 3:22 PM, Terry H said:

Was yours happening only when you were in gear as well? 

It has only happened once in Neutral - and that was just as I kicked it back into Neutral from Forward gear. It was "hiccuping" (for lack of a better term) a fair bit in Forward when I kicked it back.

Just seems weird? Like it's load dependent ?

Edit: Sorry Luvit, just read your post again and clicked on the 'oil system'. This motor has oil mixed in with the fuel, and isn't oil injected, if this makes a difference?

It shouldn't cause any problems (running out of fuel) if it's a  premix motor with carbies. Just make sure it's fully primed again and as others have suggested check the condition (and maybe swap for new) the fuel bulb, lines, connectors.