Understanding the weather

ryno1983

Hey guys,

Getting the gps and finder gear fitted next wednesday hopefully at East Coast Marine, picking up some gear from tackle world southport on Wednesday too and then hopefully heading out thursday 8th nov for my first offshore adventure.

Wondering how you guys read the weather and predict if thursday will be a good day for it. What highs and lows mean what forecasts, synoptic charts you look at. I hate to think to be stuck out there in bad conditions not having much experience. I have a 5m hanes signature, 125hp.

Thanks guys.

Firstly look at the synoptic chart the closer the isobar's are together the higher the wind speed will be.

Swell will depend on the moon cycle ie:the fuller the moon the higher the tides

If it's a high or low pressure system coming in you can generally predict the wind direction by the way the trough is moving ie:

lows generally give a southerly wind and come up from the east west high 's tho tend to come from northerly usually NE

Not being a meatoroligist these are a few points I have learnt

as far as fishing is concerned

try to fish 1020 plus system pressure

old saying

fish the 20 fish a plenty ;)

and another was when the moon is half full cup shaped moon is up hold s a plenty

but it is important

look at the charts and see how fast the high's and lows are moving

the slower moving will result in easier predictions

Gaz

ryno1983 wrote:

Thanks guys for the advice. Down at southport seaway there isnt a bar is there feral. Only surfers to dodge.

Mate don't dodge them - just leave a burley trail.:woohoo:

About reading the weather - plan a fishing trip with me and it rain - no guess work there.:S

Archived