State Of Origin 2016

Gad

Josh Morris has been ruled out of Origin 2 because of a groin strain.

Dylan Walker has been promoted to a starting position, and Jack Bird moves onto the bench.

Morris warmed up with the Blues this  morning, but could not make it though the session.

If Walker goes to centre opposing Inglis happy days, may lead to a try blitz down that side. Go the Maroons

Brisbane captain Corey Parker will retire from the NRL at the end of the 2016 season.

The Broncos have called an 1130 AEST press conference on Monday when Parker will make the call.

The 34-year-old Parker is playing in his 16th season and has amassed 336 games, placing him equal fourth with Brad Fittler on the all-time list for matches played.

Only Darren Lockyer (355), Terry Lamb (350) and Steve Menzies (349) have played more.

Parker is preparing for his 18th State of Origin game for Queensland on Wednesday night.

He has also played 13 Tests for Australia.

See what Parker had to say about his retirement on:  http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2016/06/20/parker_calls_time.html

I`m now interested to see who will play Broncos &  Qld lock next year. A couple of years ago I could see Matt Gillett being no 1 contender after Parker for that position for the Broncos, if he did get the nod it will take his game to a new level

only 1 more big sleep and 2 gramps naps to go :P

The Blues' captain's run was ambushed by a montage of Queensland highlights stemming from the start of the Origin dynasty.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/state-of-origin

I imagine that would have had them feeling the blues` :lol:

meanwhile, Gagai has overcome his quad strain to be a confirmed starter for Wednesday's Origin II. :)

Qld`s full squad has been training together again, since Sunday, after a stomach virus hit some players late last week.

clinching 10 from 11 tonight, sounds good to me  :)

Suncorp Stadium is a scary prospect for New South Wales. Queensland have outscored the Blues 269-122 in the past 10 State of Origin clashes at the venue. The Blues' inability to score at the ground has been on show in recent history, with NSW scoring eight points or less in five of these matches – none more famous than their 52-6 loss in Game Three last year. The mental scars from that drubbing have to be still haunting Laurie Daley's men as they return to the venue for the first time. The Blues will have to find some attacking spark if they are to outscore a Maroons team averaging almost 27 points a game at Suncorp Stadium. A hostile Queensland crowd will do their best to ensure this doesn't happen, and if the Blues struggle early, we could see a repeat of past blowouts.

http://www.nrl.com/state-of-origin-ii-schick-preview/tabid/10874/newsid/98243/default.aspx

2 stats that put a smile on my dial

NSW have only managed to score 5 tries in their last 4 games at Suncorp Stadium.

The 26-16 loss to Qld at Suncorp Stadium last night was Gallen's 15th loss in his 23 Origin games since his 2006 debut.

With a record like that, Qld will miss him when he retires from rep footy after this season. :lol:

For me the origin moment of the night was, NSW 2nd rower, Tyson Frizell showing real ticker trying to run down Gagai in the 80 metre dash for Gagai`s first try.

Great atmosphere as always last night (I played my part - and am 'husky' today ......). 'I've seen Newcastle play better than this ...!!!'. Yep, we should make a Gallen statue outside Lang Park to honour his legacy during our winning streak ..... :whistle::devil:

Seriously - how long can this go on??????

If NSW forgot about putting in the dirt they might start winning. Gallen was elbowing in the face right from the start, Woods was the dirtiest I have ever seen him and now we have a bigger grub to take gallens place in macpheta.

QLD seem to absorb the punishment and get on with the game, tough blokes.Some may say what about sams tackle, that wasnt a dirty tactic it was a stupid brainsnap.

9 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great atmosphere as always last night (I played my part - and am 'husky' today ......). 'I've seen Newcastle play better than this ...!!!'. Yep, we should make a Gallen statue outside Lang Park to honour his legacy during our winning streak ..... :whistle::devil:

Seriously - how long can this go on??????

Probably as long as the blues keep turning on each other. There were several times in the game where a blues player looked to be giving a team mate a serve foe a mistake or a poor pass, and then Gould's performance in the post match was a great example of why they are not a team. It is the old coaching adage -"a champion team will always beat a team of champions".

• 2 weeks later...

SOO Game 3 Wed 13 July Sydney

Queensland Maroons squad Game 3

Michael Morgan and Josh Papalii unavailable for selection through injury

Maroons changes, Gavin Cooper to make his Origin debut and Nate Myles returns from injury.

Darius Boyd (Brisbane Broncos)
Gavin Cooper (North Queensland Cowboys)
Cooper Cronk (Melbourne Storm)
Dane Gagai (Newcastle Knights)
Matt Gillett (Brisbane Broncos)
Aidan Guerra (Sydney Roosters)
Greg Inglis (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Jacob Lillyman (Warriors)
Josh McGuire (Brisbane Broncos)
Nate Myles (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Corey Oates (Brisbane Broncos)
Justin O'Neill (North Queensland Cowboys)
Corey Parker (Brisbane Broncos)
Matt Scott (North Queensland Cowboys)
Cameron Smith (c) (Melbourne Storm)
Johnathan Thurston (North Queensland Cowboys)
Sam Thaiday (Brisbane Broncos)

Gavin Cooper will only add to this team, I look forward to him receiving nicely timed ball, 6-5-4 metres from the NSW line.

NSWailers 

out Moylan, Greg Bird, Walker

in Wade Graham, Josh Dugan, James Tedesco

1 James Tedesco (Wests Tigers)
2 Blake Ferguson (Sydney Roosters)
3 Michael Jennings (Parramatta Eels)
4 Josh Dugan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
5 Josh Mansour (Penrith Panthers)
6 James Maloney (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
7 Adam Reynolds (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
8 Aaron Woods (Wests Tigers)
9 Robbie Farah (Wests Tigers)
10 Paul Gallen (c) Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
11 Wade Graham (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
12 Josh Jackson (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
13 Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Interchange
14 Jack Bird (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)
15 James Tamou (North Queensland Cowboys)
16 David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
17 Andrew Fifita (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

This NSW side looks like a good side…. for Qld, again  :)

Moylan was always going to be the sacrificial lamb for this series, expect him back in a couple of  years.

Graham should bring a little extra to their forward line. Dropping Bird was probably the smartiest selection call NSW has made in 3 Series. Qld will miss the extra penalties that the grub always presented to them.

Gallen`s last origin, highly likely Farah`s last too, (even if NSW doesn`t have a stand out hooker next year) Surely if the wailers lose game 3, Ferguson, Jennings, Klemmer, Fafifa, Reynold`s (he can`t carry both the bunnies and NSW) will not be there in 2017.

http://www.nrl.com/gallens-parting-shot-at-bad-winners-queensland/tabid/10874/newsid/99042/default.aspx

"I don't mind [being the villain] to be honest with you. At the end of the day it's entertainment so to speak and you need to have people watching, you need to have people interested," Gallen said.

"I've played the villain a bit to keep people interested because that's what it's all about. It's all about promotion, promotion of our game…”

Oh dear, this must be a NSW thing... :)  I`ve never meet a Qlder who needed anyone to drum up interest in any SOO/interstate game/series  :lol:

Read a good article in the last few days about our win in Melbourne in 2006 and how much pressure Qld were under to win because the 'history of Origin' was under fire if we lost again, which would have given the Blues a historic 4-straight series wins. Fast forward 11 series and I can't recall any comments about the 'history of Origin' being at risk during our total and utter domination during this period. Yet more proof of how 'superior' they THINK they are .............

Also heard on the radio recently, I think on Triple M on a Saturday morning but not certain, where they were talking about Phil Gould's attack on the 'selfish leadership group' in the Blues side. They mentioned a tactic of 'attacking the leader' (apparently the Blues tried to do it to Shane Webcke) where they focus on nullifying the leader of the opponents pack (in the Blues case, Gallen for quite a while). Their theory was that in doing so, Gallen might only make, say, a 3 or 4m gain off his first run in a set which is below par. Being the competitor he is (I'll give him that ....) he would then demand the ball later in the set to try and rectify things (some would could this selfishly wanting the ball to protect/bump up his own stats - I personally doubt this and put it down to his determination to help his team) where the team would be better off giving to other plays or spreading the ball and 'using' it.

I found it very interesting and was a bit of a snapshot of what has been so wrong with them for so long. The ever changing halves combinations has no doubt not helped with this as they haven't felt established and had the confidence to deny the demand for the ball from players like Gallen and Bird.

Anyway, thought I'd share.  Bring on the whitewash!!!

Yep, unbelievable caning!!  Cronk gone to bin and yet Fafita and to a lesser extent Gallen were allowed to constantly swing at us in the play the ball.  Jennings offside for Fafita try - if he isn't there then Oneill doesn't have to worry about him and makes a contest with Fafita. Blues catch the ball from the field of play (clearly) then take it into the ingoal towards the end but get a 20m tap. Farah knocks on but they rule it against us. We are tackled in the air from their short kickoff after Boyd try. Inglis braces himself and gets penalised for shoulder charge - they get free interchange as well.

Not whingeing (well, actually I am ....) but bl00dy proud of our boys for somehow overcoming all of this and hitting the lead with a few minutes to go, only to go down to a try after a pass hit the deck (as opposed to row 13 in the stands when they try to pass to their winger ......).

Bring on next year!!

Constant penalties zapped the life out of QLD, then to add salt to the wound cronk sendoff. Thats the worst reffing I have seen from this bloke, he is usualy fairly good. Someone got to him thats for sure. Smith said to him when the penalties wer 6 to 1 ref

how can we be so bad when they are doing the same things. It showed a lot of ticker from QLD to get as close as they did, playing 14

Dino

Even with that totally lopsided penalty count I still thought the Queenslanders were well on top. Which they were until that last minute try.  I guess we have been doing the miracle try to them for so long, they had to have a bit of luck eventually.  Does one in a row count if it is a game not a series?

• 3 weeks later...

Sims hopes for Blue`s dynasty.

NSW captain Ruan Sims is hoping the Blues' first win in 17 years of interstate clashes against the Queensland women is the start of a period of dominance for the NSW women's team.

Sims was elated with the historic victory, which she said was a result of a build-up of months of hard work as well as improving resources and development in women's rugby league south of the Tweed.

"We were ecstatic when we won and you can see it in the footage. It's 17 years in the making and the last three months we've been working so very hard for each other," Sims told NRL.com.

http://www.nrl.com/sims-hopes-for-blues-dynasty-after-historic-win/tabid/10874/newsid/99740/default.aspx

A Blues rugby league team that actually accomplished something with their one game win. :P

Archived