Jig & Stickie Session

T_H

Had a good little session with my brother today. We landed quite a good variety of species on the jigs, stickies and plastics although the plastics were extremely outfished by the jigs which was quite suprising. We fished quite light running mainly PE2 for the jigs which super fun but you get dusted a few times which we did, also the regular mack bite off occurred twice. We also dropped 5 quality trout which was unusual especially on the assists.

Coral trout was our target species. Along with some nice trout landed we caught some, GTs, goldspot trevors, rainbow runners, oceanic queenfish, redbass and red throat emperors. It was fun and frustrating at the same time on the jigs.

After the jigging we moved to the shallows to pepper a shallow reef edge with stickies. It took a bit of time to set the hooks and we had about 10 follows from trout with none hitting any lures. This was frustrating!  We persisted for a bit longer until the tide started rushing off the reef edge. The fish finally turned on. We landed a few small ones on my homemade stickies before my brother got smoked by a big trout and soon after i got it handed to me by a 10kg + GT in a meter of water. I need to make a few more lures now. We upsized gear and continued along the edge with my bro connecting to a beast of a trout which he finally muscled off the reef and landed. A new PB for him 7kg and was caught on my homemade sticky so i was stoked. About 2 casts later i was onto a nice midsized GT that took a liking to an ASWB ss90 that was pulled from some shallow bommies. All in all a good morning on the water. 

Cheers

Tim

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

IMG_1169.JPG

IMG_1154.JPG

You have some unbelievable fishing on your door step. Most fishermen have those speices of that size on there bucket list. Catching fish on your own lures is very satisfying. The closest I got to making my was tying my own trout flies. 

Missed out this time Tim catching up but we maybe able to catch up next time I'm in Cairns. 

Mate i love it up here. We are very lucky. Would love to catch up mate mext time your here.  Def get out for some fishing. Pretty stoked the lires work too. Cheers mate. Trout flies would be fun to tie. I grew up chasing trout a bit. Never good at tying flies tho

Archived