Moreton Bay Tailor - 20.07.16

Panther

Headed out in the bay for the early bite yesterday (Wednesday) through the thick fog with a mate - bit unnerving heading out of the Brisbane River in that weather. Looked like it was going to be pristine fishing conditions for snapper around mud island. All we managed to catch in the early morning session were a bunch of yellow tail pike and 6 or so undersize pinkies. Looking at other boats in the vicinity though, we weren't the only ones with a disappointing start to the day. Towards the end of the session I put down the plastic sticks and had more fun bait jigging for pike to use as live bait later in the day.

We headed off to Harry's about midday using live bait (herring and pike) and plastics and didn't land a single fish. Again it looked like a similar story for the other ~1000 boats out there. Using the bait jigs again, I hooked a winter whiting in 20+m of water. The soundings showed some promise with plenty of bait but we couldn't get a bite so we decided to make the long trip back to Pinkinba boat ramp, crossing our fingers for some birds working the surface somewhere along the way.

South of mud my mate spotted a boil so we cast plastics and metal slugs and scored about 7 tailor from 30 to 40cm - not big fish but a decent consolation prize and good fun on light gear. Back in the river we dropped vibes around the wharfs and managed another 5 or so tailor (to 42cm) - loosing many more. Also scored a bream on vibe and saw much bigger versions chasing the hooked tailor up, even picking at them near the surface!!? Hoping for a threddie or jew but it was not to be.

Take home feed:

DSC_0675.jpg

Good return for your efforts!

We spent a sloppy saturday all nighter at Mud and although we got our bag of snapper and a few welcome extras with a grassy,1  cod, 2 flathead , we grabbed one lone Chopper with a floater. that was it, just the one run for a whole night.

Larger boat near us showed a nanny ( saddle tail) they had lucked in with for their all niter. 'Seems there's a few showing up more often in the bay.

We used winter whiting for bait and don't the snaps love 'em!

I made a mistake, it was Tuesday not Wednesday.

5 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Very good consolation prize there mate, sounds like the tailor numbers are increasing. Were the larger versions following the hooked tailor bigger tailor or jew/threadies/sharks?

Big bream. That's what made it odd. I remember one 35cm tailor I was reeling in had three big bream chasing and snapping at it. I should have checked the fish for wounds. I guess by big, the bream would have been very high 30's to 40cm.

4 hours ago, toohard said:

We spent a sloppy saturday all nighter at Mud and although we got our bag of snapper and a few welcome extras with a grassy,1  cod, 2 flathead , we grabbed one lone Chopper with a floater. that was it, just the one run for a whole night.

Larger boat near us showed a nanny ( saddle tail) they had lucked in with for their all niter. 'Seems there's a few showing up more often in the bay.

Nanny off mud? Now that's a good catch.

17 hours ago, toohard said:

Live whiting, whole & dead, or just a slab?

Sounds like a tough session with quality rewards in the end. Look forward to hearing more.

Tim

Started with liveys, then got lazy about the water change and they ended up not so live.

I've found even whiting heads work on the bigger models. Grinners when butterflied also work quite well.

I baked the Nanny last night and won some brownies with the bed-sharer. She may even start to call me by my given name soon of I keep this up! ( Instead of : 'hey you!', or 'I have a bone to pick with you') 

Snapps are nice but I love those grassies. Mother-in -law got the tailor for tea Sunday and sole cod was put in cryogenics for another day. 

Archived