Re Power

riz

hey everyone, 
i know a very played out question, but i am looking to re power my tinny upto the 40hp from the 30hp. im finding it just a bit hard to get out of the hole when fishing with another person, weight and gear etc. It is a pressed plate with a 3mm bottom and sides so a bit heavier than normal pressed tinnys. I want to be able to get offshore and fish the bay more so i would like the extra power. So, whats everyones opinion on motors, i was always a yamaha fan but since i got the mercury i am no longer biased towards motors has been absolutely awesome can not fault it at all. it does have electric start and trim and tilt but on a separate unit called a cmc. So "new" motor must have these. I will be putting my mercury and trim and tilt up for sale soon as one package. Sorry to rant on, but am open to any suggestions at all regarding motors, also if anyone has a motor for sale in the above range either 2 or 4 stroke happy to talk. Thanks!
Modify message

I think different motor brands are personal preference, some base it on experience and others on hear say.

My experience with Yamaha's has been fantastic and they are my first choice. I will pass up boats if they have certain brand motors on them, (that I won't mention). If I really liked the boat and not the motor brand I would either pass it up or want it for a reduced rate so I could change the motor.

Although my boat is not under powered I put a hydrofoil on the motor and it has helped it a lot regarding handling of the boat and trimming the boat's bow up & down. It was a little over $100 dollars and could help your current situation for not much cost relatively. 

Motor height and propeller pitch could also be the issue. I have the same problem with mine and called Solas props. They were very helpful and advised I checked height before buying a prop. This shows they aren't just after a sale. Checked height and that's fine so supplied the details of my prop they explained that reducing the pitch should fix it. If it doesn't I can send it back for a full refund! Less than $250 to try the prop is much cheaper than a re-power! 

Thanks for the reply everyone. that is one of the issues actually, the cmc unit is mounted so the motor sits about 150mm-200mm above the original motor mount, so the motor is sitting quite higher than normal. another thing about it is im getting a large rooster tail type spray when underway. not to sure about the installation of the unit i bought the boat with it. does anyone have a tldi tohatsu or know of anyone?

My motor is over propped so doesn't punch out of the hole well, but cruises beautifully once up. I might go and get the prop re-done one day but at the moment it's not high on my list.

A prop designed for your engine would optimize the performance for sure and at a fraction of the cost of a new donk. Also make sure if you have an alloy prop the edges haven't dulled, again, this will really decrease your efficiency.

Definitely look at the weight distribution in your boat too. Makes a massive difference to performance, ride and economy.

On 3 September 2016 at 9:47 AM, riz said:

Thanks for the reply everyone. that is one of the issues actually, the cmc unit is mounted so the motor sits about 150mm-200mm above the original motor mount, so the motor is sitting quite higher than normal. another thing about it is im getting a large rooster tail type spray when underway. not to sure about the installation of the unit i bought the boat with it. does anyone have a tldi tohatsu or know of anyone?

Mate does the rooster tail spray up over the motor cowling or out the back?

Also u said it's a 3mm boat, what brand and length is it?

thanks for the replys everyone. Prop isnt damaged really just the usual small chips etc. rooster tail is mainly off the back. im not sure if that affects it all just kind of annoying. boat is a 4.2 meter viking. they dont get made anymore

Archived