Fraser 24th - 31st August Report

Damien2Rad

G'day gents,

Had a blast at Fraser. Spent 3 days at Waddy Pt as a group of 8, plus guests by way of some of the old boys (My old boys mates, and some of mates old boys) who were staying up at the lodge for the nightly fire and damper.

We got some good fish at Waddy, with a particular mid morning session on Friday being the stand out with a fish a cast session with most fish being well into the 40's, along with my best of the trip a 56.5cm model taken on a topwater (Maria Blues Code, 3/0 Decoy Singles).

FRASER16 Tailor.jpg

Chris may have a better, non blurry photo.

Later that day we put out a dead tailor and Adam landed a nice little bully.

FRASER16 Shark.jpg

On Saturday we made our farewells and 4 of us went up to Sandy Cape. The weed made fishing difficult but we still managed to piece together a good feed of tailor and some to bring home while up there.

I also managed to land my first mullet on a lure. Mouth hooked on a slug. I have heard close to spawning large mullet will attack and eat invertebrates so I guess that's what happened here. 55cm.FRASER16 Mullet.jpg

I will get more photos as I get through them. and hopefully Chris can add a few too.

All in all, another great trip with great mates.

Damien.

Damo I have caught a fair few mullet spinning for tailor. I have def foul hooked a few but the number I have hooked in the mouth is considerable. Far to many to be fluke. The last one I got was a beast and a damn fine fight on 2-4lb gear...

FB_IMG_1473044341612.jpg

Trip looks awesome mate. Please keep me in mind for the future :)

3 hours ago, Angus said:

Damo I have caught a fair few mullet spinning for tailor. I have def foul hooked a few but the number I have hooked in the mouth is considerable. Far to many to be fluke. The last one I got was a beast and a damn fine fight on 2-4lb gear...

FB_IMG_1473044341612.jpg

Trip looks awesome mate. Please keep me in mind for the future :)

Would love to have you there gus. Next time we're probably gonna skip Waddy and head straight for Sandy Cape. No fires = less drinking = more fishing!

5 hours ago, christophagus said:

brilliant. Shark is an awesome catch. not a pigeye shark? very hard to tell the difference between that and a bull, just seems to have a rather large dorsal fin

either way, its an very cool looking creature

A quick google search would suggest you're correct. Thanks mate!

We did some exploring up in the dunes which I haven't done since I was a kid, checked out the lighthouse (about a 3 beer walk up). Walked up the fire trail and found an old sink hole.

And the sun rises and sunsets were out of this world as you'd expect. My swag was in prime real estate.20160828_054905.jpg

Average arvo sesh at sandy cape. Good average size.  Biggest at 50cm.20160828_185155.jpg

10 hours ago, aussie123 said:

Awesome trip Damo.

I need to go to Fraser camping sometime.

I've fished offshore Fraser a bit but i have never been on the island itself.

I live for it Lance. I try get up there 4 times a year. Just love the sand between the toes and have lots of childhood memories.

7 hours ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Great stuff mate, great trip and photos. On the lure that hooked the mullet, have you got a treble and a single hook on the one end? Was anyone catching Spaniards or jewies up there?

A little bit mate but there was a massive weed problem at the time. Its still there now, and has been there for over  6 weeks. Clears up and then comes back with the next tide.

I run a shogun swivel off the split ring and close an open eye 4/0 ganging hook with a straightened shank over the swivel.

Big tailor have a habit of jumping and throwing hooks and I find this hook helps out  a lot. Also many fish are hooked on the single and easier to release.

I also run decoy inline singles in 3/0 on their own some times.

Archived