Boat Recommendations - 5m Cc

Terry H

Looking at potential options for a new boat towards the end of the year/early next year, and was hoping someone might have some advice or even other suggestions.

I'm after a circa 5-5.5m centre console, predominately for offshore, with the occasional river/dam fishing. From an initial look around, one boat that stands out so far is the Stessl 530 Trophy Centre Console, with perhaps a 100 or 115 on the back. Budget wise, I'd like to keep it around 40k.

I had previously looked at a 520 Renegade and 539 Nomad, but the Stessl seems to be (on paper) a nicer boat. Good fuel capacity, and what seems to be a stronger hull.

Has anyone seen any of the recent Stessl's? Reviews in magazines/articles since their last change of ownership seem positive, but then again it's hard to find negative reviews on boats when they are given a boat to test.

Would love to get other peoples thoughts on the Stessl, and any other boats around that mark!

Hi Terry,

I can not comment on the Stessl with no experience with them, sorry.

Having a 5.4m CC fibreglass boat myself I find it a great cross over boat for bay estuary and offshore, however if I was to do mainly offshore fishing I would look at something like a walkaround or cuddy cab style. Just because if it is anything more than a 10 knot cross wind I get very wet and so does all my gear. Also if doing bar crossings a cab will shed most of the wave if you cop one over the front.

The CC stability is very good and it is fantastic to fish out of when the weather is calm. Fishability in a CC is brilliant so they have many pluses. 

I am considering a walk around for my next boat, though.

Are you considering 2nd hand Terry or just new? If you go 2nd hand with a newish motor you'll increase your chances of getting a quality plate hull (not that I know anything about the quality of the Stessl Trophy's). There is/was a Trophy 530 at John Crawford Marine - I know the owner Matt and he is a top bloke and would be worth talking to to discuss options.

Good luck with your search - I'll be after something similar (but a slightly lower budget) in a couple of years once my boys are a bit older.

Wayne, I hadn't considered walk arounds, but any sort of cabin really doesn't appeal. I know what you mean by the chop and open boats. There's not much worse than getting drenched by spray every 2 seconds in the middle of winter, leaving you a shivering mess.

I think the 'fishability' outweighs the comfort factor.

Kelvin,

To be honest I'm not sure. If it is near new and in top condition, I could probably be swayed.

Have you considered what boat you may get in the future?

I haven't narrowed it down too much yet Terry - I'll just basically be chasing the best deal I can get for my buck. I'll be pretty patient once I am in a position to buy in the hopes of picking up a quality hull. If you are potentially keeping an eye out for a good 2nd hand deal, take a look online as often as time permits as some REALLY good deals pop up.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, I kept looking. And currently have myself in queue for a Galeforce 5.5m CC. 

Has anyone had experience with these boats? I've checked them out (on a trailer) and they look like a mean weapon. Yet to take one for a test ride though. I always think the more opinions and thoughts you hear, the better! So would love to hear anyone's experience with them.

I have a 4.8, really wanted 5.5 but didn't want to wait for a new one (was a 4 month waiting list) and got a bargain on the 4.8 that was less than 12months old, mine is a tiller steer and i will have a side console put in it soon. There is a few 5.5m and 6M ones around Brisbane, get on Instagram and search hashtag galeforce and have a chat to them, or a few charter operators in Harvey Bay run them as well, so maybe book a charter. 70hp tiller steer is hard work after 30mins of driving. 

One great thing about having one built is you can really get them customised, like the height of casting deck, would love mine lower as it gunnel height, the self draining deck and deck wash is good, but i keep bungs in the scuppers most of the time as it does get a bit of water on the floor. I have met the owner and have spent a few hours at the factory and they were really good. If i was having a new one built i would go with a larger engine, the 4.8 will take a 90hp, i would also have trim tabs put on, they make 2 size consoles, while the larger one looks better and would keep you dryer, it does take up more room. They also do a offshore transom which i think i would get. 

It will all come down to how much you want to spend, when i looked at new and told them what i wanted i added $20k to the base price.

If you want to go for a run in the bay one day i don't mind taking you but the 5.5 will perform differently. 

1 hour ago, ipk18 said:

I have a 4.8, really wanted 5.5 but didn't want to wait for a new one (was a 4 month waiting list) and got a bargain on the 4.8 that was less than 12months old, mine is a tiller steer and i will have a side console put in it soon. There is a few 5.5m and 6M ones around Brisbane, get on Instagram and search hashtag galeforce and have a chat to them, or a few charter operators in Harvey Bay run them as well, so maybe book a charter. 70hp tiller steer is hard work after 30mins of driving. 

One great thing about having one built is you can really get them customised, like the height of casting deck, would love mine lower as it gunnel height, the self draining deck and deck wash is good, but i keep bungs in the scuppers most of the time as it does get a bit of water on the floor. I have met the owner and have spent a few hours at the factory and they were really good. If i was having a new one built i would go with a larger engine, the 4.8 will take a 90hp, i would also have trim tabs put on, they make 2 size consoles, while the larger one looks better and would keep you dryer, it does take up more room. They also do a offshore transom which i think i would get. 

It will all come down to how much you want to spend, when i looked at new and told them what i wanted i added $20k to the base price.

If you want to go for a run in the bay one day i don't mind taking you but the 5.5 will perform differently. 

Hey mate, I saw your facebook post re converting it over to a CC. Good to hear they have you sorted! I've been in contact with Meth a bit and have a detailed quote and a pretty solid idea of everything I want in it. My build is scheduled to start in June. I really like the look of these rigs - but just need to get in one on the water to confirm. It would have to be a poor ride to change boats I think.  

I'd love to join you in the 4.8. Never hurts to see more boats, plus I haven't seen the 4.8 in flesh. Yours looks a bit different though - no gunwales / rod locker etc ?

I know what you mean about the extras :o Going the 5.5 with 140 zuki and 150L tank.

Nabs mentioned the 2 console sizes to me, and said he'd go the smaller one if he got it new. The 5.5 I saw was the wider console which i thought was good. I'd probably run with no seats though to open up the deck.

I have thought about booking a charter up in Hervey Bay just to get out on one... lol

1 hour ago, Ovington said:

I have spent a week fishing out of a 5.5m Galeforce and loved it! Copped a few rougher days and it handled it beautifully. Definitely will be looking into them as a next boat

Thanks ! How did you find the comfort / stability at rest ? 

2 hours ago, Terry H said:

Hey mate, I saw your facebook post re converting it over to a CC. Good to hear they have you sorted! I've been in contact with Meth a bit and have a detailed quote and a pretty solid idea of everything I want in it. My build is scheduled to start in June. I really like the look of these rigs - but just need to get in one on the water to confirm. It would have to be a poor ride to change boats I think.  

I'd love to join you in the 4.8. Never hurts to see more boats, plus I haven't seen the 4.8 in flesh. Yours looks a bit different though - no gunwales / rod locker etc ?

I know what you mean about the extras :o Going the 5.5 with 140 zuki and 150L tank.

Nabs mentioned the 2 console sizes to me, and said he'd go the smaller one if he got it new. The 5.5 I saw was the wider console which i thought was good. I'd probably run with no seats though to open up the deck.

I have thought about booking a charter up in Hervey Bay just to get out on one... lol

Thanks ! How did you find the comfort / stability at rest ? 

Not mine on Facebook, but happy to take you out, 140 Suz will be perfect, 150lts will give you huge range, i have 120Lts and have around 300km range. I think the wider console looks better and if you do with out seats then it should leave enough room. 

Photo of how high my casting deck is, i think you want it a lot lower 

IMG_6166.jpg

Oh wow, that is high. Most Galey's I've seen their cast deck tops out around the bottom of the rod locker, so probably 100mm lower than yours. 

I was also thinking a lean post on the front deck.

What a coincidence though! Definitely different boat than the one I saw on FB, must be a few getting the change. SC would be so much nicer than the tiller.

Having a run would be really appreciated. Even if it's a slightly shorter boat, I imagine a few of the fit out things are similar, or at least applicable to consider when doing mine.

11 hours ago, Terry H said:

Oh wow, that is high. Most Galey's I've seen their cast deck tops out around the bottom of the rod locker, so probably 100mm lower than yours. 

I was also thinking a lean post on the front deck.

What a coincidence though! Definitely different boat than the one I saw on FB, must be a few getting the change. SC would be so much nicer than the tiller.

Having a run would be really appreciated. Even if it's a slightly shorter boat, I imagine a few of the fit out things are similar, or at least applicable to consider when doing mine.

This weekend is out for me, maybe next weekend if the weather is ok, all the boats come out the same mould, so apart from the length and in my case the console the boat fit outs are the same, the real difference is the room between the back of the casting deck and the transom. 

Two other thought are, i would choose the sounder i was going to run and get them to put a thru hull transducer in, as the sealed deck makes this really hard later on and if you are going the Dunbar trailer see if they will change the rollers to the red poly ones, the standard grey ones leave big black marks. 

8 hours ago, ipk18 said:

Two other thought are, i would choose the sounder i was going to run and get them to put a thru hull transducer in, as the sealed deck makes this really hard later on and if you are going the Dunbar trailer see if they will change the rollers to the red poly ones, the standard grey ones leave big black marks. 

Why a thru-hull and not a transom mounted? 

At this stage I was considering an open C-Channel Mackay, but will keep that in mind!

If I had my choice, I don't think you can go past a redone Haines 565F. Proven, bulletproof and highly sought after. Then again trying to find one that is ready to fish, affordable and up-for-sale is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Galeforces are brilliant boats, and from all reports so are the Bonitos.

Don't forget to consider Hooker Boats, very good also. Although I think the hardest decision you'll make is deciding which of the numerous options you've been given. Either way I'm sure it'll be perfect.

22 hours ago, demarc said:

Doesn't sound ideal if u have any issues down the track, if access is really that hard?

Thru-hull or in-hull transducers are superior to transom mount, but I wouldn't seal them in. Maybe put them in during the build, and then have an access hatch in case something does go wrong. I've heard of people sealing their fuel tanks in, only to have to rip up the floor when a hose clamp let go.

On 3/16/2017 at 3:59 PM, ipk18 said:

Cleaner water, with thru hull, holds the bottom better at speed, i have a friend that marks fish and bait at 50kmph. I like the idea of c channel, i have seen 5.5m on both single and dual axle, which will you go? 

At this point, thinking dual axle.

How are thru-hulls when it comes time to upgrade? 

I didn't realise thru-hulls existed; kind of assumed it was what they call an in-hull. Learn something every day! I started researching the thru-hulls and camea cross this page: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=199  which seemed to explain ti all nicely.

7 hours ago, Tybo said:

Galeforces are brilliant boats, and from all reports so are the Bonitos.

Don't forget to consider Hooker Boats, very good also.

The weird thing about Bonito is I've seen people mention them, heard people mention them, but never actually seen anyone with one. On the flip side, I know of a few people with 4.8/5.5/6m Galeforce's, and know there are a few guides running with the Galey's and Hookers (Hervey Bay Sportfishing to name one of them). 

Have yet to hear a bad word about the Galeforces, other than a few minor things from the older boats (poor finishing, leaking hatches) which from what I've heard have all been addressed.

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. Hopefully I'll be able to jump in a 5.5m to confirm in my mind, whilst slowly going mad waiting for the build queue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 1:28 PM, Terry H said:

Has anyone seen any of the recent Stessl's? Reviews in magazines/articles since their last change of ownership seem positive, but then again it's hard to find negative reviews on boats when they are given a boat to test.

pretty sure Stessl and Makocraft are the same boat I owned a 630 makocraft cruiser cab it was a nice boat however the attention to detail was something that left me feeling that with the money I payed for it these things could have been addressed in the factory. these were only minor flaws, like i said nice boat but could have been finished a lot better. I did find that being an ally boat it was very light at the front and this was amplified with a chop I fixed the problem with water storage and a spare anchor

IMG_6473.jpg

On 9/21/2016 at 6:36 PM, Terry H said:

Another similar boat is the Sea Jay 5.2 Vision

I currently own a 5.35 sea jay magnum tiller steer and I would have to say its the best boat I have owned in a while aches of room and handles all kinds of weather, I've had it out in about 30 knot breeze, the speed I get out of it with a 60hp honda is around 27 knots and thats a nice comfortable speed to cruise around the creeks. let me know if you have any more questions 

oh and another thing Sea Jay are daily open to "mods" at the factory

cheers

joe

DSC_7916.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, paul1976 said:

Hoping someone can help with this.

Im refurbing a 5.5 galeforce. I have a 130hp yammy with 25' shaft to go on it. I want to raise the transom height to make it a better blue water boat. Has anyone done this and can give me some transom heights

Cheers

Welcome to the forum mate. We've had at least a couple of Galeforce owners on here - not sure if @ONTHECHEW still looks from time to time, but his boat may have been a 5.5 Galeforce. 

I would start/create a new topic with a relevant title, that will give you the best chance of people noticing it. Good luck 🙂 

On 30/12/2020 at 1:00 PM, paul1976 said:

Hoping someone can help with this.

Im refurbing a 5.5 galeforce. I have a 130hp yammy with 25' shaft to go on it. I want to raise the transom height to make it a better blue water boat. Has anyone done this and can give me some transom heights

Cheers

Hi paul1976

I'm not a boaty, but it would probably help to see if you could go out with someone who has one, and get a feel for it. Like KM said it would be wise to make a new topic for this (Top Right Hand, Create, Topic, then go from there)

Cheers Hamish