Bought A Drone

Luvit

I quite enjoy photography and putting some small videos together of trips we do. I had thought I would not mind a drone to take some aerial shots and pictures. But the biggest complaint from people that had them was they are so big and bulky and inconvenient to use. On a small boat space is everything so when I saw the new fold-able Gopro Karma I looked in to it and thought great but, there is no tracking feature and I would wait till they had it. Then a week latter DJI launch their Mavic Pro drone which is smaller than the Gopro Karma and it has a longer fly time, longer range and it has many extra features, but the main one I wanted was tracking.

There has been a lot of debate which one is the best for each persons needs. For me I decided the Mavic was a better fit, others may decide the Karma is better for them. 

So fingers crossed it is all I am expecting so the footage can be included in my videos.

Time will tell if its a impulse buy that I will continue to use or not, but I can just on sell it if its not being used.

They have not been shipped yet and I'm expecting delivery of mine some time November.

Just thinking of flying over the whales and watching them go about their business, looking down on tuna busting up, the possibilities are endless. Or it could crash in the water where you will hear me crying very loudly.:4_joy:

I have been thinking about buying one as well, so i can't wait to see the results of yours, i want one for trolling season and think you could get some great footage hooking up to a black, but with one more thing to worry about might be a bit too much.

i think you have made the right choice mate, I am a professional photographer and we use one for Real Estate work (a dji phantom 4) and it is truly a great bit of kit. I think you will a very happy chappy when you see how easy they are to fly and the quality of the images it produces.. The mavic has a slightly less sharp image and a bit more saturation but the difference is minimal. (im considering buying one myself) Check out a youtuber called Casey Neistat and watch some of his recent videos. He makes some really good stuff.

Cheers, Glenn.

1 hour ago, ipk18 said:

I have been thinking about buying one as well, so i can't wait to see the results of yours, i want one for trolling season and think you could get some great footage hooking up to a black, but with one more thing to worry about might be a bit too much.

Yes you could get lucky with a hook up shot if there is a good bite going. Till I get some skill and confidence in it I'll be very careful.

That explains why I have been envious of the photos I see from your posts "Professional":)

I have watched every video and any piece of information I can find. It's a lot of coin to drop so I have done the research. It will be interesting to see how good the DJI Go App is with its editing. Don't really want o get into photoshop etc. 

Casey Neistat and some others set the cat a moungst the pigeons when his first review of the Mavic showed soft footage and put a lot of people off buying one. Now everyone is a little more educated that you have to focus the camera with a tap on the screen similar to an iphone before you start recording etc. I'm sure i'll forget but will soon get use to it. the difference of quality between the 2 is so minimal in my amateur eyes it blew me away how good it was.

Thanks it is good to hear someone with experience thinks I made the right choice being a total newbie to droning.

That is besides my wife droning and droning and droning to me all the time. Only kidding.

Haha thanks for the kind words @Luvit Yep i reckon you made the right choice, this is the first ever drone gopro has made and they will most likely have some teathing problems whereas DJI has been around a while now and really know what their doing. Yes i too sore that vlog where he tested it out and i was a bit concerned but as he said, you just have to get used to focusing as with a smart phone camera which wouldn't be hard after a while, it would just become second nature. Good luck with it mate and  i look forward to seeing some sick footage!

Cheers, Glenn.

I'm sure yours is of better quality, but I had a good laugh at my old man's expense during the week when he told me what happened to his drone on the inaugural flight. A strong gust of wind took it out of sight and he still hasn't found it. :pinch::lol: Return to base is not so good if stuck in a tree...

Archived