Cricket Aussie Home Series 2016/17

Gad

Great to see our extremely very newest opening combo actually valuing their wickets and fighting out a tough 12 over period at the end of play to be nunfa at stumps. Mr Warner may/should have learnt something watching Usman and even Renshaw go about their craft. Long may it continue tomorrow!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This idea that the Australian team and staff has of Warners opening 'Daveys` natural style' of slash and bash, from ball one, to 'subdue the opening bowling attack and put pressure on the fielding side works well against teams with limited bowling attacks, but is a 50-50 proposition when faced with quality bowling attacks.

Thankfully no grass root/junior coaching staff would encourage it for any of their openers.

3 hours ago, Gad said:

Thankfully no grass root/junior coaching staff would encourage it for any of their openers.

Unfortunately, you would be surprised. QLD cricket is a mess. The focus tends to be on the short format of the game in the juniors.

If its not the coaches (some, not all) its the kids who are taking to the more aggressive approach, even for openers. They see what happens on the big bash so coaching these youngsters is a nightmare. Their logic seems to be "why forward defense when you can reverse sweep past point for 4?"

Not good. But thankfully there are still many coaches and youngsters taking the traditional approach to batting.

thanks for that, my kids are all grown now and it`s been quite a few years since I had anything to do with local cricket, seems like it`s turn to poo, looking back I should have got out of local and zone rugby league admin before I did, it turned to poo also with some thinking they were NRL coaches and talent scouts

Men's Home Cricket International Series, 2016-17

Commonwealth Bank Test Series v South Africa
South Africa series win 2 - 1

Victoria Bitter One Day International Series v New Zealand
4 December: SCG, Sydney
6 December: Manuka Oval, Canberra
9 December: MCG, Melbourne

Commonwealth Bank Test Series v Pakistan
15 – 19 December: Gabba, Brisbane (Day-Night Test)
26 – 30 December: MCG, Melbourne
3 – 7 January: SCG, Sydney

Victoria Bitter One Day International Series v Pakistan
13 January: Gabba, Brisbane
15 January: MCG, Melbourne
19 January: WACA, Perth
22 January: SCG, Sydney
26 January: Adelaide Oval, Adelaide

KFC T20 INTL Series v Sri Lanka
17 February: venue TBD
19 February: venue TBD
22 February: venue TBD 

• 3 weeks later...

Well the 3 ODI`s between Oz and Kiwis was a great result for the Aussies, but very one sided matches.

1st Test v Pakistan.  Starts Thursday 15 – 19 Dec, Day/night game at the Gabba

Same squad that beat Seth Efrica in the 3rd test named for 1st test against Pakistan.

Steve Smith, David Warner, Matt Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Nic Maddinson, Matt Wade, Mitch Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.

3 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Well played Pakistan. You have to admire the way they fought back. And I don't know about you, but I have a soft spot for a national team that can never play in front of their home crowd but still play with everything they have. 

Agree Steve - although I must admit I don't follow cricket (particularly during footy season as I don't have pay TV) well enough these days to realise they don't play at home at all. Funny sidenote, my wife and I travelled to Dubai as part of our travels when moving back from the UK. We land at the airport, go to get a taxi, wife shows them our booking and the taxi driver tells us that hotel is in SHARJAH ............. My little sports brain straight away tweaks that I've heard of Sharjah, link it to Pakistan playing cricket and am silently stewing (didn't want to cause a scene and upset the wife ... well, girlfriend at the time) at how the heck she could have managed to book us a hotel in Pakistan when we were meant to be in Dubai. Once I realise that Sharjah is a 30 minute bus ride from Dubai I realise things aren't so bad (turned out OK, just got a shuttle bus in each day) and that Sharjah is one of the neutral venues the Pakis play at. Really had me confused though!!

I didn't see any of today or yesterday, partly because I assumed we'd cruise to a very comfortable win. Looks like I should have given the Pakis more credit and watch a bit of it, particularly today.

Oh and I should clarify that the hotel was a chain and my wife had unknowingly booked the wrong one (so not TOTALLY her fault ......).

Aus selectors name same 11 for 2nd test against Pakistan for Melbourne`s Boxing Day test  26 – 30th Dec

David Warner, Matthew Renshaw, Usman Khawaja, Steve Smith (c), Peter Handscomb, Nic Maddinson, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Nathan Lyon

Hopefully Nic Maddinson can hit up a large score that he is capable of and Nathan Lyon can find some extra wickets or he will be punted into international test retirement by the following test.

Day 2   oddly, a slightly early lunch break taken (10 mins early), because of extremely light sprinkle of rain

Paks 4/232

EDIT  when play finally restarted a total of 3hrs and 9 minutes has been lost to rain so far

after restart Paks got to 6/310 before rain stopped play again

Day 3 off and running after 35 minutes rain delay.

getting a little cheesed with the experts, commentators etc carrying on about the work load of Oz fast bowlers and excuses for them not taking wickets at better rates than their expectations. Give the Paks batsmen and the pitch some credit.

I can not recall excuses made for previous test bowling teams over the years.

Day 4  1.52 pm qld time    poor light & drizzle  early tea break taken

Aus  6/465   1st innings lead 21  Khawaja fell for 97, Smith 100  not out

EDIT  2.07 qld time  drizzle turned to heavy rain/storm

EDIT #2  Play did not resume due to severe weather

Archived